All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Sheet Music Low A

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Frankly that's just a throwaway triplet pick-up note anyway, most people would never even notice if you left it out altogether.
It's not a pick up. It's part of the melody and has lyrics. It would be missed by any one who knows the song. ;)

turf3

Locality
Earth
Well, that opinion kind of limits your options.

Playing the tune in a different key may or may not be an option. If you want the deep sound of the tenor in its lower register, you're kind of stuck, aren't you? I'd change the pitch of the notes, long before I'd try to execute gymnastics to eke out an out-of-tune muffled low A on a tenor.

Just a question, do you think Errol Garner always played that ascending PICKUP line of five notes exactly the same way, every single time he played this tune over - what, forty or fifty years?

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
The piano has a much greater range than a single saxophone and Erroll was an accomplished player, composer and arranger.
The op was asking about playing from the lead sheet. Soloing...play what you like innit.
Ps. Erroll didn't read according to wiki.

turf3

Locality
Earth
OK, then, what do you suggest for the tenor player who wants to play the tune in that key?

Seems like you're either going to take it up an octave, or modify the line.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
OK, then, what do you suggest for the tenor player who wants to play the tune in that key?

Seems like you're either going to take it up an octave, or modify the line.
You can do either depending on whether you want to play it note for note or whether you want to play it embellished or with a freer interpretation. If the former then you’d be best off either an octave higher or a different key.

If the latter then you can play it in that key in that register and take some liberty with it. Singers do that all the time such as Billie Holiday.

Maybe pick out strategic notes that should conform to the melody as wrote, but others don’t need to depending on your style.

turf3

Locality
Earth
My point was that requiring yourself to play it note for note doesn't really make much sense in the actual on-bandstand world. Not unless you've arranged it for saxophone soli, in which case you're an arranger and you know that the tenor sax can't play that note, and you've already made a workaround.

Vetinari

Café Supporter
Locality
East Manchester
@Royston check out botm 2013 by gladsaxisme. On dropbox its got Eb and Bb with backing tracks.
No low A
P.s. files are somewhere on page 2 of the thread.
Or try clicking here

Last edited:

Royston

Locality
Wirral, United Kingdom
@Royston check out botm 2013 by gladsaxisme. On dropbox its got Eb and Bb with backing tracks.
No low A
P.s. files are somewhere on page 2 of the thread.
Or try clicking here
Thanks Graeme
Trouble is it’s in the wrong key for the Jazzbacks backing track. Thanks anyway.
I’m playing it on alto at the minute which sounds really nice..
Hope we can meet up again soon.

Vetinari

Café Supporter
Locality
East Manchester
Ps it's Graham, but i'll let you off, just this once.;)

Ballymenaboy

Locality
Ballymena.Co.Antrim
Help
I’ve just bought the backing track for Misty from Jazzbacks and the Bb sheet music with it has a low A.o_O
Any advice, without being a contortionist as always much appreciated.
Checked Real Books and it’s exactly the same:headscratch:
Jazzbacks have missed out on this one surprisingly..I play this an octave higher.

Linaberd

Locality
USA
What nonsense, alto notes and tenor are different, and you can't play alto notes on tenor because they are in different ranges.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
What nonsense, alto notes and tenor are different, and you can't play alto notes on tenor because they are in different ranges.
errr... depends on what is meant. Alto and tenor have different pitch ranges due to their size differences. If you're playing solo on your own unaccompanied, Eb and Bb can use the same sheet music, as it doesn't matter. If accompanied, either the sax parts need to be in relevant keys, or you need an accompaniment in the appropriate key for your instrument.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
The ame thing happened for some time ago. It's a for two tenors in concert C (D tenors). We should play A(1)-B(1) together and then split tones B(2)/B(3) - A(1)/A(2) - B(2)/B(39 according to the arrangement. It didn't sound right. I played it on baritone instead. It sounded better. Just me played E(1) - F#(1) to F#(2) - E(2) - F#(2) . The tenor just played the high B3 - A3 - B3. I also played legato on E(1) and F#(1). Is it the machines? A horn player that write a horn chart knows a tenor is to low Bb. No other signs to play staccatto and strong ..... Or was it right?
low a.JPG

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
These old threads make me very nostalgic. Sometimes I tear up. I get misty reading your lines. Tra la la. ;)

Staff online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom