All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Sheet Music Low A

Royston

Locality
Wirral, United Kingdom
Help
I’ve just bought the backing track for Misty from Jazzbacks and the Bb sheet music with it has a low A.o_O
Any advice, without being a contortionist as always much appreciated.
Checked Real Books and it’s exactly the same:headscratch:

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Buy an alto or baritone or play the phrase an octave up or change key or...whistle it. ;)

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Some songs fit better on one saxophone than on another.
Misty being in Eb fits very easily in the middle of baritone and alto giving a player plenty of scope. It only fits on tenor/sop in the upper register.
So you can transpose it into F or Bb or shove it all up the octave and play the same notes as alto plays.
You can't play notes you don't have. No matter what the dots say.

Royston

Locality
Wirral, United Kingdom
Some songs fit better on one saxophone than on another.
Misty being in Eb fits very easily in the middle of baritone and alto giving a player plenty of scope. It only fits on tenor/sop in the upper register.
So you can transpose it into F or Bb or shove it all up the octave and play the same notes as alto plays.
You can't play notes you don't have. No matter what the dots say.
Cheers Colin
This is how it’s written. Same in Bb Real Books. As is the accompanying Jazzbacks track?

1612077523666.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
As @Colin the Bear says, you have 4 choices:
1. Play the piece on alto or bari, so the problem goes away
2. Transpose the song into a different key
3. Play the "A" section up an octave. The middle section can be played at written pitch.
4. Fudge the low A by playing a different note.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
A Bb instrument lead sheet will have to be playable on trumpet, the range of which goes down to written F#. The top of the range depends on the trumpeter, but I think that most intermediate trumpeters would be comfortable up to written Bb above the stave and uncomfortable with much beyond C above that.

So a Bb instrument lead sheet for a tune like Misty will sometimes be uncomfortable or even unplayable for either the Bb trumpet or Bb saxophones.

As well as the suggestions from other people you could just leave out the offending note. Or learn to play trumpet.

Rhys

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I think my preferred solution would be to play the alto notes on tenor - i.e. to transpose from concert Eb to concert Bb. But then you need a backing in concert Bb.

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
I’d go with ‘fudge’ the ‘A’ or play it on alto

Last edited:

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I’d go with ‘fudge’ the ‘A’ or play it on alto

Playing a D instead of the A would work fine.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
The Café Sax backing track and notes are up a tone in concert F, thereby turning the A into a B.

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
That looks like it's straight out of one of the Hal Leonard fake books I have. If I'm playing clarinet or trumpet I play exactly what's written or if I'm playing tenor or soprano sax and don't want to play altissimo G play section A an octave up and play section B exactly as written. If you want to play altissimo G on tenor and you have a high F# key on your horn, play 3rd octave B and add the high F# key...

Happy honkin'

Greg S.

P.S. My Walstein soprano has an high G key which comes in handy in situations like this...:thumb:
but maybe not for the listener...:rofl:

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
but I think that most intermediate trumpeters would be comfortable up to written Bb above the stave and uncomfortable with much beyond C above that.

Not only that, but playing the top C on trumpet, even when comfortable for the player, doesn't seem right for the song.

I play that tune on on tenor but I would play it an octave higher than written in that sheet music above (which, as you say has to accomodate trumpet players). (It doesn't sound too high on tenor, because of course the actual sound is an octave lower than written)

As a lead sheet it is just a guide really. IMO, playing as is (even you you could play the low A) is too low IMO for the adequate amount of niceness.

Royston

Locality
Wirral, United Kingdom
That looks like it's straight out of one of the Hal Leonard fake books I have. If I'm playing clarinet or trumpet I play exactly what's written or if I'm playing tenor or soprano sax and don't want to play altissimo G play section A an octave up and play section B exactly as written. If you want to play altissimo G on tenor and you have a high F# key on your horn, play 3rd octave B and add the high F# key...

Happy honkin'

Greg S.

P.S. My Walstein soprano has an high G key which comes in handy in situations like this...:thumb:
but maybe not for the listener...:rofl:

Original Bb Real Book Fifth Edition

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Like Greg when I (have to) play that tune on tenor, if I am comfortable with altissimo F# and G I play the whole tune up an octave from where it is written. When I lack confidence on those notes I play the A sections up an octave and the bridge or B section where written which sounds good to my ear. Most of the time I play Misty on alto where it fits like a glove (or a mitten).

1612116846524.png

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
"the adequate amount of niceness". Sums up "Misty" to a tee. I may nick that phrase for future use. :)

turf3

Locality
Earth
I'd either change that line a bit or play it in a different key.

Frankly that's just a throwaway triplet pick-up note anyway, most people would never even notice if you left it out altogether.

If I were playing this on tenor as a feature, and it had to stay in that key, I'd probably play the first head as it's written there (modifying those pickups), then on the return I'd either play the entire final head up an octave, or at least take the last A section up.

Or I'd do it as a samba and play the head on piccolo.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom