support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Lou Marini aka Blue Lou

Two Voices

Locality
United Kingdom
Blue Lou is a talented musician and a highly sort after session saxophonist! For those that don’t know Lou is an original member of the Blues Brothers Band and played himself in the movies. I love listening to Blue Lou and really like his style on the Tenor!

Below is a list of what Tenors Blue Lou plays:

Selmer MK VI Tenor (Serial # 196940) with a Phil Barone Metal Mouthpiece New York Model with no baffle and a Harrison Gold Plated Ligature. He has been playing this horn since 1971 and its still his number horn. This was the horn that Lou played it in the Aretha scene in the first Blues Brothers movie.

Selmer MK VI Tenor (Serial # 63691) with a Phil Barone Metal Mouthpiece New York Model with no baffle and a Harrison Gold Plated Ligature. This is his Silver plated horn with a gold bell!

King Super 20 Gold Plated Tenor (Serial # 338335) with a Phil Barone Metal Mouthpiece New York Model with no baffle and a Harrison Gold Plated Ligature.
This was the horn that Lou played with Aretha in the second movie.

Wood Stone Tenor (Serial # 0004) with a Phil Barone Metal Mouthpiece New York Model with no baffle and a Harrison Gold Plated Ligature. This horn was given to Lou by Ishi Mori in2009 while in Tokyo.

Lou occasionally plays an Otto Link Hard Rubber #7 with a Wood Stone Ligature on the Tenor. His choice of reeds are either a Roberto's, Rigotti, La Voz, or Rico Royal 3 1/2.

Lou also plays the following instruments in particular the Alto and the Soprano but lately the he loves his Alto Flute.

• Selmer MK VI Alto (Serial # 125483) with an Otto Link 6* Hard Rubber Mouthpiece and a Harrison Gold Plated Ligature.
  • Selmer MK VI Alto (Serial # 134003) with an Otto Link 6* Hard Rubber Mouthpiece and a Harrison Gold Plated Ligature.
  • Selmer MK VI Gold Plated Alto (Serial # 179172) with an Otto Link 6* Hard Rubber Mouthpiece and a Harrison Gold Plated Ligature.
  • Selmer Balanced Action Alto (Serial # 52279) with an Otto Link 6* Hard Rubber Mouthpiece and a Harrison Gold Plated Ligature.

• Selmer MK VI Silver Plated Soprano (Serial # 184896) Phil Barone Metal Mouthpiece with baffle and Selmer Ligature or an Otto Link 6* Hard Rubber Mouthpiece and a Selmer Ligature.
  • Yanigasawa Curved Soprano (Serial # 210572) Phil Barone Metal Mouthpiece with baffle and Selmer Ligature or an Otto Link 6* Hard Rubber Mouthpiece and a Selmer Ligature.

• Yamaha YBS-62 Low A Baritone (Serial# 025364) with a Lebayle #9 Metal Mouthpiece and Ligature. Lou plays a La Voz 3.1/2 Reed.

• Buffet Crampon (Serial # 66718) He’s had this since he was 12 years old!

• Powell Sterling Silver Flute C Foot (Serial # 1656)
  • Powell Sterling Silver Flute B FootSerial # 1847
  • Haynes Sterling Silver Alto Flute (Serial # 32524) His Number One Flute
    Rudel Carte Bass Flute (Serial #81029)
  • Yamaha Wooden Piccolo (Serial #3085)

• Steinway Baby Grand Piano (I would love one of these, plus the space to have one!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul, that's a lot of kit you're going to have to buy to mimic him! :))) :))) :))) :)))

Paul, that's a lot of kit you're going to have to buy to mimic him! :))) :)))

:))) I do tend to have a lot of GAS but funds wouldn't stretch for one Selmer MK VI Tenor let alone the rest of that gear!

Having said that if anyone has a Phil Barone New York Metal Mouthpiece I could have the work done of it to remove the baffle. Must admit I've been after a Gold Plated Harrison Ligature for a while now :D

The only thing I've thought about getting to mimic his sound is a Sterling Silver Neck for my Tenor ;}

P.S. I'd swap all my filming gear for one MK VI Tenor :sax:

He's been one of my heros since I first saw The Blues Brothers film! What a player.

Wonderful person as well. I had the honour to play with him when he was the featured guest with our Hamburg Downtown Big Band.

Wonderful person as well. I had the honour to play with him when he was the featured guest with our Hamburg Downtown Big Band.

Name dropper!!!

I'm just jealous. Very Very jealous ;}:)))

Blues Brothers Band - Sweet home Chicago

This is a nice video that shows Blue Lou on the Tenor :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why, but the sound on that video is awful

A fine (sax)player and seems to be a cool guy as well. He is one of the complete saxplayer of today.

Thomas