Tutorials

lost G

ilovebech

I have a cheap alto(G4M),and while it's a good horn and plays well, it has the maddening habit of just not sounding G, in both registers. I will be playing and the G will just not sound.I then play G and the blasted note speaks ok. It's driving me crazy, and of course the last thing I will do is PAY anyone to help me.I have searched and tried the pulling thin paper test,but cannot find a leak.What the hell is going on?

phooesnax

Could be an octave mechanism issue. Check to see if the body closes all the way when in the lower register and opens all the way for upper AND that it then closes when you go to A.

OP
I

ilovebech

Could be an octave mechanism issue. Check to see if the body closes all the way when in the lower register and opens all the way for upper AND that it then closes when you go to A.
In desperation, I tried the last hope of the hopeless, and applied oil.The octave keys seem to move with a snap,and the G seems ok,thanks for that.I still do not understand how a tiny leak could just affect the G, and not affect the A and B above it, never mind the notes below.

Top Bottom