All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Lost files in audacity

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
For some time I have had a number of saved files in audacity things like Harlem Nocturne,God Bess the Child,Over the Rainbow,and a few more that I have had a go at recording,and when ever I wanted to have another go I opened audacity went to recent and found the files I wanted.Now when I got the play along for Naked City I thought it would be a good idea to load a few of them into audacity so I could have a play whenever I wanted,so as I imported them into audacity I opened a new file for each one and saved them idividually,but having done this my original files I had saved seem to have disappeared and even when I type in there names in the find box they can't be found,One funny thing is that when I open SONAR another studio program I have been so generously given by Gypsy, it manages to find the file for Over The Rainbow but can't open it,now I know when you save in audacity it tells you these saved files can only be opened in audacity but why can't audacity find them,ANY IDEAS....john:confused:;}:(

dave mainland

Hi
You could try using "save file as" to work out where audacity is saving your files. Or do a search - click windows icon and search for .aup if you saved them as audacity projects. Good Luck

Wade Cornell

I've always found saving Audacity files tricky, so instead do the "export" as a WAV which can then be stored more easily. To re-open with Audacity just right click and choose open with audacity. I think the problem is that (as you have now found) there isn't an accessible folder that stores your Audacity tunes, or if there is, I've never been able to find it.
As a WAV you can direct it to be stored it in whatever folder you like.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi
You could try using "save file as" to work out where audacity is saving your files. Or do a search - click windows icon and search for .aup if you saved them as audacity projects. Good Luck

Thanks for the input Dave I've just had a look and the only things in the window are the new night in the naked city files,it's really fuuny because I've opened and closed the old files loads of times and now they have just vanished completely and I can't find a record of them anywhere.I'm just wondering if it's someting to do with the fact that when I imported all the new files I ended up with a long line of audacity files at the bottom of the screen and then closed them one by one,maybe I should have closed each one before doing the next,It's a real mystery

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I've always found saving Audacity files tricky, so instead do the "export" as a WAV which can then be stored more easily. To re-open with Audacity just right click and choose open with audacity. I think the problem is that (as you have now found) there isn't an accessible folder that stores your Audacity tunes, or if there is, I've never been able to find it.
As a WAV you can direct it to be stored it in whatever folder you like.

Thanks for that Wade I'll give it a try next time ....john

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Thanks for the input Dave I've just had a look and the only things in the window are the new night in the naked city files,it's really fuuny because I've opened and closed the old files loads of times and now they have just vanished completely and I can't find a record of them anywhere.I'm just wondering if it's someting to do with the fact that when I imported all the new files I ended up with a long line of audacity files at the bottom of the screen and then closed them one by one,maybe I should have closed each one before doing the next,It's a real mystery

They're probably all still there. Did you search across all hard drives?

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Kev

Yes I thought that myself but woudn't have a clue on how to go about searching the deep inner places of the pc being a complete tecno phobe......john. :(

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
& you're on Win 7. Right click on the start button and select search. In the popup put in what you want to search for as part of the file name, and lower down there should be a 'search in' option. use that to select all drives, or if you've only got a C drive, select that. Windows, by default does the unhelpful thing of searching the start menu only....

If you don't come right with this, tell me and I'll check on the kids win 7 machine.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Kev

Sorry for the delay in replying,I ve tried what you said with some variations

1 right click on start only brought up small window with PROPERTIES and OPEN WINDOWS EXPLORER

2 left click got the menu page with search box at the bottom

3 entering GOD BLESS THE CHILD brought up new window with four options

DOCUMENTS
band in box GOD BLESS THE CHILD
band in box GODFATHER
band in box GODBLESS
MUSIC
SONAR god bless the child
A FOLDER god bess the child,(sax 1) _data
A FOLDER 2-05 god bless the_data

when I click on the first folder I get a large window with a folder in it

when I click on the folder I get another window with number in it

when I click on the number I get a whole long list of numbers

when I click on any of the numbers it comes up unable to open

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ME.....john:confused:

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Hi John,
there should be a *.aup file with the same name as the _data folder. You might also inadvertently have deleted the files. In which case you might want to have a god rummage around in the recycle bin.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Thanks for the advice rudjarl I've looked every where for it and it seems seems to have totally vanished,so I have written it off and will start again but thinking of trying Sonar this time,Albert your assistance is greatly needed.....john

Top Bottom