support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

losing air?

kenmayo

Hi, just recently started to learn the sax and have been progressing OK but the sound seems to sound as if I am losing air somewhere ? is it the reed mouthpiece combo? Any suggestions?

Hi kenmayo,
Probably embouchure problems. Do you start ok and then as time goes on air leaks from the join between the mouthpiece and your gob? That's normal when you are first learning. Play for short intervals and take a break. Build up your facial muscles slowly.
Andy

It could be that your reed is too hard or that you are blowing too hard,or both. Don't blow at all in fact, produce the sound by breathing through the instrument with a "haw", as if breathing on glass. That's how I do it anyway.

Jim.

Hi, just recently started to learn the sax and have been progressing OK but the sound seems to sound as if I am losing air somewhere ? is it the reed mouthpiece combo? Any suggestions?

You may find it helpful to just play on the "tone producer" (mouthpiece + neck) to develop your tone production skills.

If you are playing alto, aim for the note Ab Concert. If you have a tenor aim for an E Concert. When you can hold a clear, steady full tone with this pitch on the "tone producer" for 30 seconds then try that same note on the sax (5th line F - alto, 5th line F# - tenor).

You will be amazed at how good the sax sounds after you have practiced this for a while.

It would be helpful to know what your setup is (make of sax, model of mouthpiece, make of reed).
Mouthpieces can be extremely variable - and if you're using the one that came with the sax there's a strong possibility that it's not very good at all. A decent mouthpiece - and it doesn't have to cost and arm and a leg - will be a revelation.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/mouthpieces.htm

Regards,

It would be helpful to know what your setup is (make of sax, model of mouthpiece, make of reed).
Mouthpieces can be extremely variable - and if you're using the one that came with the sax there's a strong possibility that it's not very good at all. A decent mouthpiece - and it doesn't have to cost and arm and a leg - will be a revelation.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/mouthpieces.htm

Regards,

Hi, it is a Kaerntner, bought second hand and there are no marks on the mouthpiece. Overall it does give a good tone but it (or I do) give the odd squeek for no reason.
The read is a 1 Vandoren.
Let me know what you reckon.

Sounds like the odds are stacked against you a bit.
The sax isn't the best quality - but as long as it's in mechanically good shape it ought to be OK for the job.
No marks on the mouthpiece mean that it's a cheapo one, and is unlikely to be any good.

I'd recommend a new mouthpiece at the very least, and perhaps get the horn checked over too.
Try a strength 2 reed as well...a 1 can be over-soft, and that might well be the cause of some of the problems.

Regards,

Hey Hey Ken ...

Ref: "Loosing yer air" :shocked:

I heard that if you let a cow lick your bald head it may help to get it to grow back mate ... :)))

Not sure if it works though - I've still got all mine ... :thumb: