All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Looser embouchure in the palm key notes.

Hi guys! So as I have been practicing, I was able to get the octave C note to sound fatter after realizing that I was biting on the note, which is why it was sounding thin/unpleasant. This was done by going up the chromatic scale in the key of C really fast, while maintaining the same embouchure, to correct the fault. I would like to do the same for the palm key notes. This might be the problem as to why my palm key notes have been sounding thin.

Also, I am playing rico royal strength 3.5 reeds & at times they feel too soft for my embouchure, but most of the time, I'm able to play them comfortably on my Meyer 7M.

Do you think that the technique I did for the octave c note will work for helping my palm key notes?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
You might find that mouthpiece works better with Rico orange box reeds.

The reeds aren't really soft for the mouthpiece, although going up a little usually helps, but make sure you don't lose the lowest notes.

Problem is more likely due to your tongue/throat. Long tones are usually the answer, but doing some reading and applying this during the long tones would be best. Try Rob Buckland - Playing the Saxophone. You'll probably have to Google and order from his web site.

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
Practise longtones in the palm keys,this with time will get you stronger better sounding palm notes.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Many jazz players find that opening the oral cavity and playing lower on the mouthpiece pitch helps to open up their sound, especially in the higher register. Of course, the mouthpiece needs to be pushed farther on to the cork to compensate for the drop in pitch. This video by Randal Clark demonstrates this concept.

http://www.cannonballmusic.com/tonevideo.php

baritonesax

Locality
Twickenham
All good advice. I would add that it's sometimes a good idea to check your tone quality across registers - but particularly high up, by using a double embouchure. That will certainly tell you if you're biting.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom