PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Looking to find age and value of my Vintage Kohlert Saxophone

CelticShandra

Hello my name is shandra, I am the owner currently of a vintage Kohlert Alto Saxophone and original leather case. I believe this piece may be from the 1950's as the info on the serial number (63330) came back with a possible age of 1954/55 and I am hoping to find information on the possible value of the piece. Any information and/or direction to go would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:
20200116_161134.jpg

Attachments

• 20200116_161250.jpg
    20200116_161250.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 497
Hi
CelticShandra. Nice alto..I have a similar one to yours. Your lacquer looks really nice..The case seems to be original as my Kohlert Tenor came in the same style..They are really nice horns and if it is the Kohlert 55 then that may create a bit of interest.. Mine is slightly iffy on intonation but this may be solved with a different mouthpiece..As for value it really depends if a Kohlert fan is interested..I seem to recall that there was one recently for sale in Germany. Maybe a Google search could give you some idea. Mine is on permanent loan to a pal who absolutely loves it!!. My serial number 439xx. Yours seems to be later but I have no idea what the production years were.. If it is of any help there is a dedicated Kohlert Owners site within SOTW who may be able to help you Regards and good luck..Celtic Scotsman

Last edited:
I've done a little more research and according to the sn listed its likely it is a 2 tone Kohlert Kohlert alto model from the late 50's or early 1960. Thats all I csn find though. Thank you for the info. I wish i could find a year or something on the piece.

Looks a bit later than a 55 or 57 or whatever (btw ...am curious why a 55 would create interest but not a '57, 8 ???) Looks more like a Bixley or Regent to me...the pinky table would tell for sure.

If you @CelticShandra can post a photo of pinky table ?

These are GOOD horns, REALLY good. But the market has not been fair to them over the years. 10 years ago, these Kohlerts were fetching the same $ as a vintage Keilwerth of same era would. Not the case anymore (at least not on this side of pond). If a Regent/Bixley, it has a market value here of perhaps $400usd in playing shape, $200 non-playing.

If a '5X series, a bit more, perhaps $500usd here/$250 non-playing. But if it were a '5X series it would likely read that on the Engraving.

Last edited:
What is the pinky table? And what do you mean a picture of the front bell? I thought I had included that, I'm not as versed in the parts of the sax. This is a handme down that we received without much information on it. Thanks everyone.

Looks a bit later than a 55 or 57 or whatever (btw ...am curious why a 55 would create interest but not a '57, 8 ???) Looks more like a Bixley or Regent to me...the pinky table would tell for sure.

If you @CelticShandra can post a photo of pinky table ?

These are GOOD horns, REALLY good. But the market has not been fair to them over the years. 10 years ago, these Kohlerts were fetching the same $ as a vintage Keilwerth of same era would. Not the case anymore (at least not on this side of pond). If a Regent/Bixley, it has a market value here of perhaps $400usd in playing shape, $200 non-playing.

If a '5X series, a bit more, perhaps $500usd here/$250 non-playing.

Thank you! I was wondering why it didnt have the back keys on the bell, I played in the 90's and the piece I had had keys on the back so I was super confused. Is there any way to verify other than its look that it is a Regent/Bixley? It doesn't say so on the bell under the Kohlert labeling.

Thanks. For comparison, here's the left side of a Regent/Bixley:

View attachment 13947

Now here is what saxpics calls a "Kohlert-Kohlert", LOL. Which is what I assume you were referring to. It appears to be same horn as a Regent/Bix, only diff I see is the spat keys are angled on the latter.

I note that the Bixley serial #'s overlap the "Kohlert-Kohlert" serial numbers. Whatever that might be worth. Could be they just used the Regent and Bixley monikers on horns destined for a certain geographical market (?)

Anyways....there you have it. Fair to say early 60's, I would not call it a late 50's if I were trying to sell it....because we know what Kohlert 57's and 58's look like and this isn't one.

Back
Top Bottom