support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Looking for the step up mouthpiece

vinzenzo1

I am finally going to upgrade to a new mouthpiece from the plastic . Not too sure where I will land. And I hope what I am going to say makes sense. Still relatively new to this new world on the Alto Saxophone. Anyway, I will be looking for a mouthpiece that is not overly Bright. I would like a warm rich sound. that will have some edge to it. I dont really care whether it would be Hard Rubber or metal. I am not going to look for a very big tip opening . But I will look and go to some store this weekend. Vinny

I'd also be interested in everyone's suggestions. I use a Selmer S80 C* on my alto with Legere Signature Series reeds and find them very bright to my ears. A cane reed sounds more mellow to me but I have limited practice time available which is why I use the synthetics. I used to spend more time working the cane reeds then I did practicing.

I am finally going to upgrade to a new mouthpiece from the plastic . Not too sure where I will land. And I hope what I am going to say makes sense. Still relatively new to this new world on the Alto Saxophone. Anyway, I will be looking for a mouthpiece that is not overly Bright. I would like a warm rich sound. that will have some edge to it. I dont really care whether it would be Hard Rubber or metal. I am not going to look for a very big tip opening . But I will look and go to some store this weekend. Vinny
Pete Thomas has a useful resource at http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-alto-mouthpiece-comparison. There are audio clips of 19 different alto mouthpieces.

That will be the wrong cane reed then. With a selmer s80 I would use a French filed / cut reed

Vandoren classic blue are very mellow and consistent as are Rico royale

Vandoren 2 2.5 Rico royal 2.5 3 should be somewhere near.

If you're trying different mouthpieces remember to try them with a selection of reeds. Different strengths and makes. A selection of patches of different thicknesses might help too.

I do believe the distilled wisdom of the forum is that material makes little or no difference to sound in itself. Sometimes metal pieces are smaller which helps with mouth position and metal survives the bumps and scrapes a little better but they're not drop proof.

You'll know straight away if a piece is in the running. From this short list take your time with them. It may take all day to pick one. Don't feel obliged to buy something. "The one" may not be there.

I'd also be interested in everyone's suggestions. I use a Selmer S80 C* on my alto with Legere Signature Series reeds and find them very bright to my ears. A cane reed sounds more mellow to me but I have limited practice time available which is why I use the synthetics. I used to spend more time working the cane reeds then I did practicing.

You find a Selmer s80 bright? It's the most mellow mouthpiece I've ever played (and I've had over 100 mouthpieces, so I'm judging from a pretty wide range). I'd suggest that, if you're having an issue with a mouthpiece of that sort that you sit down with a teacher or more experienced player and go through your tone, reed, mouthpiece and expectations of sound.

Meyer has been the "gold standard" for years and years. You might also look at Jody Jazz, Phil-Tone Solstice, and Phil-Tone Custom Meyer. Or, you could try stepping up in reed strength with the S80 first. If you're willing to wait a bit and spend some money, 10Mfan is coming out with a line of Alto mouthpieces this summer. The 10Mfan tenors have been superb mouthpieces.

The usual complaint about Meyers is the lack of quality control, so you have to try a few to get a good one.
Alternatives to Meyers are numerous, there are lots of companies making 'improved Meyer' type mouthpieces with better facings -
eg Jody Jazz HR, Vandoren V16M, Drake NY, Lomax NY, Ponzol Vintage.. etc
Morgan Fry and Ed Pillinger also make top quality mouthpieces

You find a Selmer s80 bright? It's the most mellow mouthpiece I've ever played (and I've had over 100 mouthpieces, so I'm judging from a pretty wide range). I'd suggest that, if you're having an issue with a mouthpiece of that sort that you sit down with a teacher or more experienced player and go through your tone, reed, mouthpiece and expectations of sound.

I have to agree that the S80 with a cane reed certainly produces a mellow sound. Maybe a better way to phrase the question would be which mouthpiece would produce a more mellow sound using synthetic reeds? As far as I know that may not even be possible.

My teacher likes my sound but she's a classical trained musician. I on the other hand prefer a deeper robust sound like the OP stated at the beginning of this thread. I'm a late beginner, in my 60's, who wanted to learn to play sax as late life endeavor. I'm also the only person that I know that plays sax so I don't have the luxury of in person feedback from other players which is the reason I chimed in on this thread.

Jafo50

Description of tone is incredibly subjective, and the adjectives one person uses might not mean the same to another.

One thing about playing any musical instrument is that it opens up loads of opportunities to meet others with the same interest. I'm sure you'll get to know other players whose opinions you can seek in person.

Good for you for starting to play later in life. I often meet people who say to me "I wish I could play the sax". I usually think (and occasionally just say) "well just bloody learn, then". You've done that. :clapping:

A nice vintage meyer or a new one refaced by any celebrity refacer is the best thing you can do to yourself and your alto. Killer mouthpiece. I dont like them on tenor though. Killer versatile mouthpiece

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom