SYOS

Saxophones Looking for some advice please!

Moxy

Hi guys, I’m looking for some advice please!
I played tenor sax to an ok level in various bands over 30 years ago! Lol
I’m now in my late 40’s and looking to play again.
I’ve still got my old cheep Tenor Lafleur by bossey and hawkes. And I was first looking to start with an upgraded tenor. But now I’m thinking of getting a alto to start on and the get a better tenor later!
I’m looking at the Trevor James horn classic 2 or even a cheaper gear 4 music one just to start on.
Am I better sticking with the TJ or even something else?
Sorry it’s a bit long winded!

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
The problem with the very cheap Chinese-made instruments, such as the GearForMusic, is quality control. You may get a very good one, or you may get a rather bad one, and unless you can detect and fix the problems yourself, the "bargain" horn may not be such a bargain after all. However, GearForMusic seems to be good about accepting returns.

If I had to choose between the TJ and the GearForMusic, then I would choose the TJ, but I would prefer a secondhand Yamaha 23, 25, 275 or 280 to either. A secondhand Elkhart Deluxe would be another candidate.

Another possibility would be a Zetland sax from Headwind in Bristol.

Upvote 0

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
I was just thinking of something different and new to relearn on and still giving me the option to use the old tenor, and then spend more on a tenor when I’m back to a decent standard!
Welcome. Keep in mind that Alto reads in Eb, Tenor reads in Bb.

If your intention is to go back to Tenor, IMHO I would just start playing your existing Tenor and get your fundamentals back (probably your tenor needs a checkup and servicing if it hasn't been played in a while). Then when you feelyou are getting back up to speed, consider whether you wanna buy a new tenor.

Unless for some reason you feel you are inclined to learn Alto and leave tenor aside....perhaps because you feel Alto is the preferred voice for you now (?)

Upvote 0

DavidUK

Jericho alto on Gumtree at £175. I have a King 660 alto, recently serviced by Paul Carrington including bow dent removal. £225 shipped (5% to forum fund). Oh...and a minty Conn 7M at £550 but that may be too much for you.
But why not stick to tenor as has been said?

Upvote 0

Moxy

If your intention is to go back to Tenor, IMHO I would just start playing your existing Tenor and get your fundamentals back (probably your tenor needs a checkup and servicing if it hasn't been played in a while). Then when you feelyou are getting back up to speed, consider whether you wanna buy a new tenor.

Unless for some reason you feel you are inclined to learn Alto and leave tenor aside....perhaps because you

Unless for some reason you feel you are inclined to learn Alto and leave tenor aside....perhaps because you feel Alto is the preferred voice for you now (?)
Thanks, yes I’m aware about the Bb and Eb, but was just thinking about something a bit different for now! I’ve always fancied playing both really, but as I’m only looking to pay a few hundred to start with, I was thinking on a nice student alto and then spending more for a better standard tenor later. Do people tend to stick to one or the other then?

Upvote 0

Moxy

Jericho alto on Gumtree at £175. I have a King 660 alto, recently serviced by Paul Carrington including bow dent removal. £225 shipped (5% to forum fund). Oh...and a minty Conn 7M at £550 but that may be too much for you.
But why not stick to tenor as has been said
I was thinking around £400 on an cheaper alto to play with now, then spending a good bit more on a tenor later! I may rethink the plan lol

Upvote 0
Top Bottom