Tutorials

Looking for new elbow

thehunt

HELLLLPPPP !!! Bloody bloody bloody tendinitis won't go away. Just playing single notes hurts like hell.
Anybody got any spare elbows, arms? Male, right hand side approx 48 years old?
5% to Pete's charity!! Well i would if i could write the cheque....>:)

half diminished

Dunno what my elbow problem is but I cannot put any real weight on either elbow - like reading in bed whilst leaning on one elbow. Hurts like hell.

You could have mine but it a bit knackered to! :w00t:

Pee Dee

Can't reach up without getting a pain in the shoulder. Big toe right foot painful when walking. Achilles tendon right foot hurts too. Lower back ache.
Knees hurt going up stairs. Cataracht developing on right eye. Euthanasia anyone?
Good news? None of this affects my sax playing:welldone

cwillsher

I'm in a similar situation. I've developed tendinitis in both arms (the shoulders, elbows, wrists and fingers to varying degrees). It comes and goes (although the tennis elbow tends to hang in there constantly now). But when the shoulder thing happens my arms are completely useless - I can't even raise them - and it can come on out of nothing. I write and record music for a living - I guess that's better than being a bricklayer or something but still highly inconvenient.

Mine didn't come about from playing sax but it can certainly be quite painful afterwards - piano too. I've been really struggling to get any help from the doctors either - I eventually was rewarded with some x-rays and blood tests but they showed nothing and by the time I've managed to get an appointment it's gone again for another week or so which makes me look a right plonker.

I have found that anti-inflamatories (ibuprofen etc.) help a lot with the shoulder pain if I catch it early enough but less so with the elbows, as the tendon there is very thin and there's little bloodflow to deliver the medicine. I did read online that there is a cure for tennis elbow, which is to sever the tendon (rendering your arm completely useless) but it does relieve the pain apparently - great!

I believ you could also ask for a cortizone injection which may or may not work and could rupture the tendons but if it's that bad.....

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and have no medical background (apart from playing doctors and nurses in primary school.....Aah, those were the days!), this infomation is provided soley from my experience of the condition. There, I said it.

OP
thehunt

thehunt

I have trained in martial arts for over thirty years and in all that time have had a few dislocated fingers, cracked coxyx and been knocked out. 18 months of sax playing and i can't even write! Even this typing is done with my left hand pinkies...
Ah!! Doctors and Nurses... ahem! back to the thread.
Taking ibuprofen and paracetomol and resting. Hope to be fit for the Karen Sharp workshop in two weeks.. we'll see.
Thanks guys

richardfm

I have trained in martial arts for over thirty years and in all that time have had a few dislocated fingers, cracked coxyx and been knocked out. 18 months of sax playing and i can't even write! Even this typing is done with my left hand pinkies...
Hmm ... maybe it's just a coincidence, but I've developed a shoulder problem (since about october last year). Now I could put it down to martial arts (Aikido), but when I've injured myself (snapped ligament, torn cartledge, strained tendons), I've known about it at the time. I can't put the shoulder down to a particular injury... perhaps it's due to taking up the sax.

Anyway, after several months taking things easy and waiting for the pain to go away, I went to the doctor who misdiagnosed it but did refer me to a physio. The physiotherapist gives me a lot more confidence with an explanation of an inflamed tendon in the shoulder (and an explanation of why the doctor's diagnosis of capsulitis must be wrong). I've seen her twice so far, and she's giving me different exercises to try to change things. The theory being that changing posture and strengthening various muscles will change what happens in the shoulder and stop irritating the tendon. I don't have a cure yet but I am getting changes in the way things feel, so I'm optimistic.

From my experience ... get referred to a physio.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom