All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Look at this Beauty! "(Used) King Super 20 'Full Pearls' Cleveland Silversonic Tenor Saxophone Circa.1947"

Hammie 1982

At least this horn looks really beautiful.
It can look pretty in someone elses house until i win the lotto and can afford to throw mony around like its going out of fashion!!!!!

Funny, I had a friend ask me did i want anything from the 70's the other day. cause he was going back and would send it on to me....... I told him to pick up a few Guitars and King Super 20's!

Jimmymack

Headwind also has a lovely Zephyr Special which I have been looking for recently but that’s probably too much sax and certainly too much money especially given the poorly fixed dents on the bow. The Super 20 is eye watering, again in looks, but definitely in price. I can’t imagine taking that on a gig.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Café Supporter
It’s drool worthy for sure but I’m currently renovating our kitchen. This decision would go something like , do I want new kitchen cabinets or another saxophone (?) and while it’s tempting I’m sticking with new kitchen cabinets. :)

Jimmymack

You're even further away than I am and definitely within easier reach of more, similar and cheaper saxophones so stick with the cabinets, although cabinets come and go and a saxophone is forever.

Jimmymack

I tried the Zephyr yesterday and it’s a nice horn but I couldn’t get comfortable with the pinky table arrangement which was a shame as I would have coughed up the dough, it’s a great, big sounding horn and built tough and good looking. I also saw the Silversonic which isn’t just as nice as it looks, it’s the most exquisitely beautiful horn I’ve ever seen in brand new condition. I didn’t try it because I was afraid to but apparently others have and it plays. One of the guys in the shop has a Silversonic and he doesn’t dare try it either because, like me, he can’t afford it and if it plays like it looks then you’d be in trouble. I think, sadly this is a collector’s horn. If I had it I wouldn’t ever feel able to take it out.

Alexandra

Café Supporter
I also saw the Silversonic which isn’t just as nice as it looks, it’s the most exquisitely beautiful horn I’ve ever seen in brand new condition.
I'm pleased someone actually saw it. If it looks even better than the pictures I want to take a peek...

Not a horn one would take on bar gigs and the like! I'd imagine it'll be bought by a collector to gaze at lovingly. But should a stunning horn like this be played or admired from afar...?

Jimmymack

I suppose it depends on how hard headed you are, obviously you are paying top dollar because of the condition so part of me would want to keep it like that but I would also want to play it which inevitably means it's going to lose its looks and of course its monetary value. As I didn't play it I have no idea how it sounds but according to the guy in the shop reports from people who have tried it say it's very good.

Now, there must be a lot of others out there that don't look as good but play as well, maybe better and as was mentioned earlier cost a lot less. The lacquer, on cursory inspection, looks perfect and I think this was a factory relac and the engraving must have been redone because it's sharp. So while it's fantastic to see something like that in such good shape instruments are meant to be played otherwise they are just ornaments, so this horn is sort of cursed unless someone comes along who has that sort of money and is a real player who says the hell with it I bought it to play.

Alexandra

Café Supporter
so this horn is sort of cursed unless someone comes along who has that sort of money and is a real player who says the hell with it I bought it to play.
So true! Sad, but true. I hope it gets played. I'm trying to think of a modern 'sax great' who might play this horn over a battered Selmer, and be able to afford it. Gerald Albright springs to mind because he likes a bit of bling but he seems happy with his Cannonballs...

KING SUPER 20 'FULL PEARLS' CLEVELAND SILVERSONIC TENOR SAXOPHONE CIRCA.1947"

(Added the link again because the original no longer works!)

Last edited:

Staff online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom