PPT mouthpieces

Teacher Wanted London, Carshalton area - Any local tutor?

McAldo

Locality
Carshalton
Hi,

I am just starting on the alto and I was looking for a few lessons with a tutor to set me on the right path with the embochure and the basics.
Unfortunately I cannot afford regular lessons, as I already spend a lot on lessons for my child, but I guess a few lessons, or one from time to time, wuld be better than nothing.

I am based in Carshalton, which is close to Sutton and Wallington.

Can anybody recommend a teacher in that area?

Thanks,
Aldo

I live in Coulsdon, quite close to you.
I used to go to Sue Libera in Banstead. She's very good on technique and won't let you get away with anything (I suffered, but people have commented on my good basic technique) although more classically based than jazz or rock.
Andre (Andy) Emond in South Croydon/Purley is more jazz based but I don't know if he still teaches.
Maurice Pritchard in Carshalton Beeches runs the sax ensemble that I play in. He's 89 and a bit deaf to speech but not tonally strangely enough, but still a great player and he still teaches. He teaches two or three of the ensemble players including our bari player, 15, who is already very good.
The staff at Just Flutes in South Croydon - including our own Griff - know a lot of people locally too.

ps to above, some internet sites suggest Andy Emond is now in Brighton so that's not much use if correct!

I live in Coulsdon, quite close to you.
I used to go to Sue Libera in Banstead. She's very good on technique and won't let you get away with anything (I suffered, but people have commented on my good basic technique) although more classically based than jazz or rock.
Andre (Andy) Emond in South Croydon/Purley is more jazz based but I don't know if he still teaches.
Maurice Pritchard in Carshalton Beeches runs the sax ensemble that I play in. He's 89 and a bit deaf to speech but not tonally strangely enough, but still a great player and he still teaches. He teaches two or three of the ensemble players including our bari player, 15, who is already very good.
The staff at Just Flutes in South Croydon - including our own Griff - know a lot of people locally too.

Thanks, much appreciated.
I might manage to visit Griff at Just Flutes next week, so I'll ask in case they know somebody.
Here in London I do not have a car, and I work broken shifts plus childcare, so I am hoping to find someone quite close.

By the way, do you know any pub with good jazz acts in the area?
I have been living here for 5 years know, but I can't say I explored much, embarassingly.

There's nothing in the immediate area that I know of, Aldo. There used to be a lively jazz club in Carshalton but I'm pretty sure it hasn't functioned for a year or so now. There are couple of pubs in Croydon, if you don't mind a short journey, including the Oval , about five mins. walk from East Croydon station. Also the cafe in Croydon Central library often has live jazz groups.
There is a jazz club in Epsom, monthly I think, which is fairly traditional in outlook. Also a weekly one in Dorking (called the Watermill) which has lots of contemporary and well known musicians including occasional overseas visitors like Scott Hamilton. It's not cheap though. Neither are particularly easy to reach by public transport from where you are though I am afraid. A very smart place is the Hideaway in Streatham which serves food, but quite expensive again.
Colin

There's nothing in the immediate area that I know of, Aldo. There used to be a lively jazz club in Carshalton but I'm pretty sure it hasn't functioned for a year or so now. There are couple of pubs in Croydon, if you don't mind a short journey, including the Oval , about five mins. walk from East Croydon station. Also the cafe in Croydon Central library often has live jazz groups.
There is a jazz club in Epsom, monthly I think, which is fairly traditional in outlook. Also a weekly one in Dorking (called the Watermill) which has lots of contemporary and well known musicians including occasional overseas visitors like Scott Hamilton. It's not cheap though. Neither are particularly easy to reach by public transport from where you are though I am afraid. A very smart place is the Hideaway in Streatham which serves food, but quite expensive again.
Colin

Thanks Colin.
Actually I might have noticed some billboards about the place in Carshalton over the last years, I assumed they played at The Sun, but then no more, now I know why.
I might try Croydon then, thanks :)

How about your ensemble? Do you ever perform locally?
I would love to come and listen if you do :)

Yes we do but the only public gig we have on at the moment is in support of Sutton black history month. It was supposed to be on 1st October at Sutton Youth Centre but I gather now that may change and I don't know the timing. I can't make the gig at any time that weekend as it happens, but if I get firmer details I'll let you know.

Venues for Jazz in distance order:
Langley Park Beckenham (try to make Thurs 28/9, Derek Nash - always a great night)
Orpington Jazz Club
Bexley Jazz Club
Eltham Jazz Club

Bigband (infrequent):
Halstead Jazz Big Band @ West Wickham
Len Phillips Big Band @ Sidcup

Google for info..

Hi McAldo, Young Col

I don't have any recommendations for tutors (in fact I should probably be looking for one myself), but since I'm just up the road in Lower Morden I thought I should say hi :)

I've not found jazz places in particular so far, but there's a bar in Raynes Park (The Cavern) which has live music essentially every night, last time I was there they had a pretty good funk band on, perhaps they have the odd jazz band too?

Cheers,
Al.

Venues for Jazz in distance order:
Langley Park Beckenham (try to make Thurs 28/9, Derek Nash - always a great night)
Orpington Jazz Club
Bexley Jazz Club
Eltham Jazz Club

Bigband (infrequent):
Halstead Jazz Big Band @ West Wickham
Len Phillips Big Band @ Sidcup

Google for info..

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Hi McAldo, Young Col

I don't have any recommendations for tutors (in fact I should probably be looking for one myself), but since I'm just up the road in Lower Morden I thought I should say hi :)

I've not found jazz places in particular so far, but there's a bar in Raynes Park (The Cavern) which has live music essentially every night, last time I was there they had a pretty good funk band on, perhaps they have the odd jazz band too?

Cheers,
Al.

Hi Al,

Looking at their website, it seems that they do lots of rock and blues, but the jam nights are labelled jazz too. On the 25th October they might have something a little bit more Jazzy on though. I think I heard the name of that band before. And it's free, so perhaps worth a shot..

Blues Patrol (Soul, Blues, Jazz, 4 piece) at The Cavern, Raynes Park Mellow Wednesday with Blues Patrol R'N'B Trio Come on down. 9pm - 11.30pm9pm - 11.30pm Info »

https://www.lemonrock.com/cavernraynespark?page=gigs

Cheers,
Aldo

Hi Aldo,

Good spot, I found this on the YouTubes:
I'm digging their Hammond player in that first track, though lacking a sax, obviously :)

Anyway, let me know if you're up for going along; I'll join you.

Cheers,
Al.

Hi Al
Glad you called in. I didn't know about that place but it might be worth a write up on the forum Noticeboard or there's a jam and gig page somewhere as well.
BTW, if you go out west a bit there's a Twickenham jazz club too which has some good bands. The director of the big band I play in down in Surrey, Graham Russell, sometimes plays trumpet there (he's a top pro and we're lucky to have him directing a community big band).

Hi Aldo,

Good spot, I found this on the YouTubes:
I'm digging their Hammond player in that first track, though lacking a sax, obviously :)

Anyway, let me know if you're up for going along; I'll join you.

Cheers,
Al.

Hey Al,

Sounds good.
However I just realized I will not be in London on the 25th of October, my agenda is crammed with random bits and bobs, so at times I loose track.

However, they will also play on the 25th of November, I think.
And next Friday, the 22nd, which is tempting, but I have a work shift finishing at 9pm and my wife might have plans already for the evening. If I manage to move things around, I might go.
If I do I'll make sure to let you know!

Aldo