All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

London calling... hmm or was that Toronto??

superpapaben

Hi Everyone,

I've been dropping by and reading for a while, so I thought it was about time I registered.

So, a bit about me:

I own all 4 of the common saxes, and prefer the tenor and bari the most. In fact, I'm not sure why I still own my soprano. lol I can't remember the last time I played it. I play it so rarely that I'm still working my way through a box of Lavoz reeds that I bought in the early '90's - the ones with the lavoz stamp on the top of the reeds. I play the tenor in a big band and the bari in a funk band.

I live in London, where I was born, but have spent most of my life in Toronto. I have one wife and two kids (6 & 2 - you don't get to know my wife's age. ;-))

I say 'super' a lot, and often add it to the beginning of people's names.

I'm not sure what else to say at this point, other than I look forward to getting to know you and sharing our musical experiences.

Super (and I also use it as a sign off)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Super to have you here, welcome to the cafe:)

I am sure you will soon feel right at home.

Jx

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the super caff©, Ben.

Four saxes, two kids and a wife? Guess you need a whip around.

ENJOY!​™

TomMapfumo

Hi Ben!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from Skabertawe, down by yer in South Wales! I note that you prefer to play the easier saxes - Tenor and Bari - where intonation problems are kept to a minimum due to size. Have you yet acquired Canda's main contribution to the Sax world - the Marc Jean Ligature? Excellent piece of kit, and Marc is a nice chap to boot.

I look forward to hearing more about your saxy antics and other contributions.
Kind regards
Tom

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the cafe Supper. One day you will find out the real beauty of soprano.

Last edited by a moderator:

superpapaben

Just wondering which saxes you play? King supersonic?

Funny you should mention that. I play Selmer SBA's on alto and tenor and Yani's on sop and bari. The King supersonic is the only horn I've played that has made me rethink my devotion to my tenor. And really, with the name super in it, I really should get one!

superpapaben

Hi Ben!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from Skabertawe, down by yer in South Wales! I note that you prefer to play the easier saxes - Tenor and Bari - where intonation problems are kept to a minimum due to size. Have you yet acquired Canda's main contribution to the Sax world - the Marc Jean Ligature? Excellent piece of kit, and Marc is a nice chap to boot.

I look forward to hearing more about your saxy antics and other contributions.
Kind regards
Tom

South Wales! That's where my wife is from. She was born in Newport and her family is from Pontypool.

I do know the Marc Jean lig. I've got one for my hr link. I've actually just ordered one for my bari piece and another for another tenor piece I have. Very good ligs indeed. But so is a Selmer 2 screw.

I'll ignore the bait on the upper/ screechier horns for now... :)

superpapaben

Welcome to the cafe Supper. One day you will find out the real beauty of soprano.

I once had a real love affair with the soprano. Years ago, when I went to music school, I was really getting into the sop and my teacher suggested I do like Liebman and concentrate on the wee horn. At the time I was mostly an alto player very much under the David Sanborn spell. Then one day it just stopped working for me and the tenor took over my life. Now I feel the bari's roar...

navarro

Hi Superpapa, welcome to the cafe you will have fun here. My late Great Grandfather `s name was Mann, using your rhetoric he would have been SuperMann. (Have to explain I`m a failed standup comic.) You probably see why. Best regards N.

superpapaben

Hi Superpapa, welcome to the cafe you will have fun here. My late Great Grandfather `s name was Mann, using your rhetoric he would have been SuperMann. (Have to explain I`m a failed standup comic.) You probably see why. Best regards N.

Yes, Supermann! I'm sure it would have been appropriate.

Super just makes the world go better. And its catchy too. I've almost got my whole office saying it (okay, possibly a slight exageration...)

Super.

navarro

Yes, Supermann! I'm sure it would have been appropriate.

Super just makes the world go better. And its catchy too. I've almost got my whole office saying it (okay, possibly a slight exageration...)

Super.
Hi SuperP.

I have tried it , saying super. I get plagued as I am sure you all do by the so called `Accident Line` on the telephone. Their opening gambit is "We have been notified that there has been an accident in your family recently blah blah blah.` This time I just said "Super` and carried on saying it at regular intervals, nothing else. I could imagine the perplexed scratching of the agents head and instead of me slamming the phone down he did. Quid pro quo. :welldone Regds. N.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Hi SuperP.

I have tried it , saying super. I get plagued as I am sure you all do by the so called `Accident Line` on the telephone. Their opening gambit is "We have been notified that there has been an accident in your family recently blah blah blah.` This time I just said "Super` and carried on saying it at regular intervals, nothing else. I could imagine the perplexed scratching of the agents head and instead of me slamming the phone down he did. Quid pro quo. :welldone Regds. N.

Honestly, you should basically add the use of "super" to your next book, in the same chapter where you address the adverbs "honestly" and "basically"

MellowD

Lost In Theory
HI Ben

Welcome to the forum. Only been here a matter of a few weeks myself.

Now you have reminded me of when I was in the maternity ward after the birth of my daughter. We had a tall, slender and very black Matron, who would say "suuuupppper" to everything with a very slow and long drawl. I can now hear her saying it over and over in my head. Thank you - think I will be awake all night with that one running around and around!

Someone sing me a pretty little song quick, or insomnia will be my best friend again!

Anyways, enjoy the forum. I do!!

Top Bottom