PPT mouthpieces

Living Jazz Greats - Who to see in 2010?

nakedlunch

Locality
London
Hi all,

I almost wrote a post entitled, "Who are the Greatest Living Jazz Musicians" but then thought it might be a little clichéd! However, it seems that we are certainly lucky to have a number of Living Greats who are still playing and doing gigs. In a few years time it may be that we will no longer be able to see those who toured in the 40's, 50's and 60's.
Therefore, I thought it might be an idea to put together a list of Living Legends who are touring in the UK (and beyond) in 2010, Saxophonists and other instrumentalsists.

To start with I will say Sonny Rollins at the Barbican in Nov 2010. However, there will be others who are playing numerous gigs such as Lee Konitz, Stan Tracey, Peter King, Bobby Wellins......... How about Ornette Coleman, Wayne Shorter or Herbie Hancock, are these guys playing in the UK this year? Is Dave Brubeck ever likely to tour outside USA?

It would be great for everyone to help compile a list so that we can all see these guys, before it's too late for some of them!

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonny's in the UK this year. I have seen (and Met) Bobby Wellins and Peter King, the latter is still unbelievable. I'll watch this post with interest as I'd be up for seeing any of the above.

Seeing an ad for an upcoming Scott Hamilton gig in Eastleigh, Hants, I looked him up on the web and found he lives in UK and tours quite a bit. Sorry if others know that already! There was a recent thread about him.

I was very taken with seeing Ubdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya at Basingstoke in April. Certainly worth seeing if he tours again next year. He's 76.

Gigs I have noticed that fit into the class of Living Greats! -

11 July - Regent's Park - Stan Tracey
24 July - Bull's Head, Barnes - Peter King
26 Aug - Pizza Express - Dean Street - Barry Harris
October (tbc) - Pizza Express - Dean Street - Charles McPherson
20 Nov - Barbican - Sonny Rollins

Herbie Hancock is to play Southbank the 13 and 14 November 2010. Tickets go on general sale tomorrow.

i saw maceo parker in luton on the 11th, its was great hardly anyone there!!! it was like a garden party! :) Amazing funk saxophonist!!!

Stan Tracey and Bobby Wellins are to perform "Under Milk Wood" album on 15 Nov at 606 - definately worth a visit to see this classic album performed.

This is a great thread idea - let's here more suggestions!

Those Sonny R tickets are more than £70!! thats a lot for one gig and the sound in the Barbican is tinny as hell in my experience. I saw Robert Cray and then Pat Bethany there recently, both nights the PA was disappointing.
However, it is Sonny R. Have a great night, anyone who's going.

I'd be hugely grateful if anyone knows of any Buddy de Franco performances outside the Rotterdam Jazz fest. i've not found any online.

Stan Tracey and Bobby Wellins are to perform "Under Milk Wood" album on 15 Nov at 606 - definately worth a visit to see this classic album performed.

I'm up for that! Totally ground-breaking album. I've met Bobby Wellins, great guy though he's lost a bit of his oomph these days.

I'm sorry if I seem to breaking away from 'Who' to see in 2010, but where I go to see someone perform is more important to me now.

I saw Sonny Rollins at the Festival Hall twenty or so years ago and was really disappointed. If I'd seen him in a more intimate venue (which will never happen) I'd probably have been delighted.

Now, the feel of the gig is as/more important than the 'name' of the artist.

Who wants to see a venerable old Jazz musician on a video screen at a festival because the stage is so far away?

It should be 'up close and personal' (sorry for that) but it should.
Go to your local Jazz clubs and see music being made for you.

I have to agree. With Pat Bethany at the Barbican, I was sitting in the circle and spent 90 minutes looking at the top of the man’s head! And anyone who knows Bethany will know, he has some monster hair. Occasionally he’d look up, so those of us in the circle could see the ecstacy he was in as he widdled away.
But the real problem was the venue – too big to have any feeling.

I saw Stanley Clarke at Ronnies two wks ago. More of a funk masster than jazz but he was awesome, and so were his band.
He was playing with a pianist called Hiromi. People here may know her already but I didn’t and was totally blown away. She’s like Art Tatum crossed with Jerry Lee Lewis!! See her if you can.

I was fortunate to see Sonny Rollins on June 12 in Burlington, Vermont. It was a small and beautiful venue, 3rd row seats and Jim Hall sat in on the concert. Absolutely amazing. There was a free "Meet the Artist" session the day before - it was worth the wait in line to listen to him speak as well. He could be a comedian as well.

At the same Discover Jazz Festival here we also saw Allen Toussaint, Arturo Sandoval and Mose Allison. I never thought I'd get the opportunity to see them all in one place so near my home - it was well worth it.

Now, the feel of the gig is as/more important than the 'name' of the artist.

Who wants to see a venerable old Jazz musician on a video screen at a festival because the stage is so far away?

It should be 'up close and personal' (sorry for that) but it should.
Go to your local Jazz clubs and see music being made for you.

Supporting your local club is vital and I have started another thread on Jazz clubs of note in the UK - why not add your local one to that? I stayed the night in Oxford last night and went to the Spin Club - great place. The venue is extremely important and I would far prefer seeing greats such as Sonny Rollins, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter etc at my local - 606 - than at the Barbican. However, if this is the only type of place you can see such giants then I am just grateful for that; to be able to still play great music at the age of 70 or 80 (even if a little vulnerbale) is better than nothing. In 10 - 20 years time there will be no one left who played during the period of the 40s, 50's and 60's.
Of course, there are plenty of great new comers and local acts which need supporting - but there is also room to see some of the more famous, elderly acts too. Many of which do play at smaller, more intimate venues.

Jan Garbarek/Hilliard Ensemble are at King's College on 2nd October 2010 - with new CD to be released. Charles Lloyd is at the Barbican on Nov 17th 2010, just after Herbie plays South Bank on 14/15th Nov 2010. Both top performers!

Kind regards
Tom:cool: