support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

little pad that closes when middle c does

SopranoSimon

Account Closed
Locality
Darlington
is the little pad that moves above C when i press middle C down meant to fully shut or have a little gap

Take it to a tech. It's a really hard fix, your sax could be in grave danger, don't try this at home, while it's away being fixed by a professional take up the triangle.
dont be a ****, i need real help

I have to say, that on this particular forum, people are the most friendly and helpful that you will find anywhere on the internet. You have repeatedly asked the same questions, people have take great time and patience in replying to you to try and help. Either you haven't bothered to read their well written replies or you are failing to understand what they are trying to tell you. My first comment was serious. Take it to a tech. The rest was light hearted banter. If you can't handle light hearted banter then perhaps this isn't the best place for you. And yes, you probably do need help. And one more thing, there is no need for rudeness, regardless of the circumstance.

@simon price I think various people have made the point to you that the best thing with your sax is probably to let a tech or someone with more experience have a look.

Taz has posted his response whilst I am typing this and I can only echo his sentiments.

I do think an apology is in order.

Kind regards

Jeanette

Stephen Howards manual.....................available on eBay and Amazon. Great investment and reference book

Was that the F-word, C-word or S-word...:headscratch:

Like Taz said if you are unfamiliar with the mechanics of a saxophone take it to a local repair person - you're fortunate in the UK with several different tertiary establishments that teach wind instrument repair, you have what appears to be an abundance of very good repair technicians...not like NZ...

Greg S.

Was that the F-word, C-word or S-word...:headscratch:

Like Taz said if you are unfamiliar with the mechanics of a saxophone take it to a local repair person - you're fortunate in the UK with several different tertiary establishments that teach wind instrument repair, you have what appears to be an abundance of very good repair technicians...not like NZ...

Greg S.

is the little pad that moves above C when i press middle C down meant to fully shut or have a little gap
You ask for advice,then when given it,take no notice..it helps to have a sense or humour on here,you seem very rude man.bumnote

Before this gets out of hand guys. WE are aware of what has been said by who. Lets not turn this into something it shouldn't be.

As for the OP, such a problem with the sax can't really be sorted out though text on a PC. It is much better to take it to a tech to have a look in person.

Chris..

The small key is called the C. When it closes, the note C vents out of the next open tonehole. That small key must close completely with either the B key or the A key when they are pressed. This is accomplished by the feet of the A and B key contacting the "back bar" of the C key. There is always some material glued either to the back bar, or the top of the key feet to act as silencing material when they make contact. In some cases the silencing material will come unglued and fall off leaving a gap between the top of the key foot and the backbar of the C.

This is what is called the "regulation" of the upper stack which means that one key when closed also closes one or more other keys linked to it. In order to have good regulation, each pad in the "system" must close perfectly with the lightest amount of pressure, and the springs that open each key must have the proper relationships.

SIMON! ....the 2nd hole above middle C closes. Don't worry about it. It works or it doesn't. Now go away and practice. If it sounds good, do it!

The small key is called the C. When it closes, the note C vents out of the next open tonehole. That small key must close completely with either the B key or the A key when they are pressed. This is accomplished by the feet of the A and B key contacting the "back bar" of the C key. There is always some material glued either to the back bar, or the top of the key feet to act as silencing material when they make contact. In some cases the silencing material will come unglued and fall off leaving a gap between the top of the key foot and the backbar of the C.

This is what is called the "regulation" of the upper stack which means that one key when closed also closes one or more other keys linked to it. In order to have good regulation, each pad in the "system" must close perfectly with the lightest amount of pressure, and the springs that open each key must have the proper relationships.

I am sincerely impressed by your ability to describe the mechanism without any image.

I am sincerely impressed by your ability to describe the mechanism without any image.
So am I.

I do b'leev 'ees dunnit before... but serially, when jbtsax talks about the workings of woodwinds I always learn something... in this case, how to describe accurately what I'd done rather more sketchily to the OP before.

Ok own up who removed my post? I was simply trying to point out that if Simon,s sax had quite so many issues maybe he should get another one?

Ok own up who removed my post? I was simply trying to point out that if Simon,s sax had quite so many issues maybe he should get another one?
Fraser I don't see why anyone has to own up. However if you don't realise that suggesting a new sax is unhelpful after some really helpful suggestions like jbtsax's, then there's something wrong.

Thanks for the compliments folks. I have the advantage of having taught band in public schools for 32 years. One learns to explain things clearly and concisely in that setting. Having worked on hundreds of saxophones over the past 14 years in my second career, I have become intimately familiar with their working parts (as kinky as that sounds). I appreciate the kind words.

Fraser I don't see why anyone has to own up. However if you don't realise that suggesting a new sax is unhelpful after some really helpful suggestions like jbtsax's, then there's something wrong.
Chill out Kevin, just a bit of light hearted fun, thats all, if you cant see that then yes something is wrong;)