support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Lightweight Alto Saxophone

mdingli

Locality
Malta
Hello All. I have just started to learn the saxophone so I am very very green. I am using a loaned alto sax for the time being but I do intend to buy my own in the future. However, I have a problem with the weight of the instrument. I have back, neck and shoulder problems and would like to find a lightweight sax, as well as a good harness/sling. Any tips and or recommendations on lightweight alto saxophones would be appreciated. Cheers

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
You won't have much luck trying to find a lightweight alto, as they're all pretty much with the 2.2 - 2.6kg range.
Some vintage altos creep in just under the mark, but the lightest modern horn is the Yamaha 280 (2.3kg).
There are two other options: the Vibratosax - which is an all-plastic instrument, and is dismal...and the TJ Alphasax, which is a 'reduced-feature' horn intended for young students. It's incredibly light at 1.9kg but it has fewer keys.

You could perhaps consider a curved soprano...or, as Pete suggested, have a look at some advanced slings/straps.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
I think most altos weigh similar amounts.

I know others rave about the JazzLab sax holder, but I highly recommend a FreeNeck harness.

I use mine primarily for Bari and Tenor, but when doubling I play my Alto and Soprano on mine as well.
I know they are not cheap, but to avoid exacerbating (or even causing) back and neck problems, surely anything effective is worth the cost? (And compared with the price of my Bari, its a drop in the ocean!)

I’ve had mine 6 1/2 years, and play Bari every day for 2-3 hours. No neck problems, no back problems :)

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
I mostly play tenor and when I started that I found the pressure of a conventional sling such as a Neotech on the nape of the neck too painful. I initially tried a Cebulla strap, which actually worked quite well, but I also bought a Jazzlab Saxholder as mentioned above. For tenor, which is significantly heavier than an alto, it works well for me.

I've recently acquired a bari and I'm borderline with the Jazzlab working with that - although I think the issue is mostly one of it needs adjusting more precisely for the Bari.

I would have guessed that a Jazzlab would work for you - I cannot comment on Mandy's option of the FreeNeck - it's one I'm investigating as an option for the bari but I've not got there yet.

I initially ordered a cheap harness thing on Amazon but it took like 20 minutes to adjust each time and thenslipped while playing. I've been using the Jazzlab and find it to be perfect for my needs. I practice standing up 3-4 hours a day.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Who was it that played with the saxophone suspended from a hook in the ceiling?

Vetinari

Café Supporter
Locality
East Manchester
There is a tall Hercules stand which may work.
1546516334392-300069698.jpg

Ps. Yes it is a conn c-mel.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
I agree with all of the replies above. The issue will not be the weight of the horn (or rather, it may be the weight - but the weight of an alto isn't all that variable) but rather how one chooses to hand it from their body....or stand it on the floor.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
I agree with all of the replies above. The issue will not be the weight of the horn (or rather, it may be the weight - but the weight of an alto isn't all that variable) but rather how one chooses to hand it from their body....or stand it on the floor.

*hang it

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
There is a tall Hercules stand which may work.
Ps. Yes it is a conn c-mel.

A cautionary tale.

I had a client who used a tall stand, so he could quickly switch between horns on a gig. He had a MkVI alto perched on the stand...and it toppled over.
He brought it in to be fixed...and it needed a lot of work. When he came to pick it up we had a 'chat' about the risks of using a stand that raises the centre of gravity so high.

A few months later he contacted me again. He'd been using the tall stand again...and the inevitable had happened.

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
If at first you dont succeed, try, try again. Perhaps 3rd time lucky

Top Bottom