support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Ligature for Selmer S-80

Lewis.S

Hi all,

I'm interested in the subject of ligs, I have an average one at the momment and would like a nicer one to compliment my S-80 mouthpiece, I am looking at Vandoren optimum, I am aware of the price, or maybe get it for Clarinet instead. Can anyone offer any help or where to order these ligs cheaply?
Thanks in advance:welldone

Lewis;}

Hi Phil,

thanks for making me feel welcome! I have heard of rovner and BG before, though I haven't had to do this before.

When I was in my third year of learning the sax, I showed my teacher a lig in a book and wanted to get it, she then said that my sax at that time was not good enough for the lig and that I didn't need it, (it was a BG revolution Jazz, £20)

Now since I have my new sax, (look on: Saxophones - My New Sax it says about the sax) I have been looking to expand the sound, because I'm not satisfied with the sound, the sax is really great, but I think changing ligs reeds and changing styles are how I will improve.

Now I'm through with al that, Yes I probably will consider Rovner or BG, maybe both, they seem reasonably priced.

Lewis;}

P.S. Does this make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lewis,

Phil's suggestions are good.

But try not to let mouthpiece/ligature/reed talk get in the way of your playing. ;}

It would drive you nuts and you can waste a lot of time.
Take that from me :D and there's a whole market based on it :shocked:

As for the lig,
1)you need them to fit well,
2)be functionally consistant. That will let reed placement be consistant too (so you know where you are at)
3)and not kill off too much reed vibration allowing a pleasing sound.

Past that, it's personal and could become very unsettling.So look for those 3 things and don't look for it to give you your sound (any reed can shatter your dreams). You should and will in time, control the sound you make, not the mouthpiece or ligature.

Good luck.
PS, sorry but I don't have any suggestions for a specific lig for your mouthpiece.

If you have an s-80 mouthpiece, then the Selmer ligature is probably the best for this.

Try a RICO H LIGATURE,there not bad priced also.I love mine.There based on a Harrison ligature which is a very famous lig as used by Dave Sanborn.The part that sit's on the reed is a H shape and this give's less contact with reed so better response.For me they work great and free everything up a tad.You get the best cap i have used with the ligature also,great combo.

Thanks

Thanks everybody

The advice and what you have written to help is extremely useful, I have the selmer lig and cap that came with the sax, but I feel uncomfortable using it, and I don't know why. I am sure I will get use to it soon, maybe I need to change my embrochure?
I'll try to experiment.
Merry Christmas,

Lewis;}

Yeah, change it to an 'embouchure'...... make it a NewYear resolution :D
Happy Christmas

(I got a lovely Rovner Eddie Daniels EDII lig from Fast Fred at a good price .... excellent lig, IMO.... and it doesn't scratch your mouth piece!)

Yeah, change it to an 'embouchure'...... make it a NewYear resolution :D
Happy Christmas

(I got a lovely Rovner Eddie Daniels EDII lig from Fast Fred at a good price .... excellent lig, IMO.... and it doesn't scratch your mouth piece!)

Yes I have an Rovner Eddie Daniels ED11 for my soprano and alto. I also have the Vandoran Optimum for both as well. I love these ligs. I am happy with both. No more searching for ligs for me. Both types suit me so that's it!!! No more buying I tell myself.:)

Rovner now have a cheap lig but still quality and still easy to fit. It's the Rovner Star Series. I have just got one for my alto and it's fine, just as good as the more expensive ones -- even those from Rovner. Got mine from sax.co.uk -- ordered it Wednesday, got it yesterday (Thursday), very good service.

To those here that work for sax.co.uk, please don't acknowledge the praise, we wouldn't want to start a commercial argument. ;};};}

Martin

PS I don't work for them. Just a customer.

PPS (can I have that job now?)

Yup, Rovner for me too.
I find it hard to understand any argument when all informed parties agree that the role of the ligature is to bind the reed to the mouthpiece as firmly as possible.
The usual metal type seems weedy by comparison.

The Otto Link metal ligature is badly flawed as the central screw pushes into only one part of the reed. Using a Rovner type ligature makes a big difference.

I am not sure that you want "to bind the reed to the mouthpiece as firmly as possible"
If the lig is too tight it can, I believe, inhibit the reed's ability to vibrate freely, so it only wants to be just tight enough to keep it securely in place.

I think it's possible that ligs where the reed is in contact with fabric(eg Rovner/BG 'standard' ligs) are more likely to cause a bit of 'damping' than those where the reed is held by a hard substance...usually metal, like the 2-screw, the FL and the EDII....or whatever it's now called (the last might be a bit 'in between' in that the lig is fabric but there is a metal plate to 'locate' the reed).
The Olegature(metal mesh) is probablyanother 'in betweener' too, IMO.
I have an Olegature on my alto and an EDII on the tenor and am in the process of trying the various combinations the ED offers ....probably won't hear any difference :)

What I do definitely like about fabric ligs is that they don't scratch mpcs ... :)

I think it's possible that ligs where the reed is in contact with fabric(eg Rovner/BG 'standard' ligs) are more likely to cause a bit of 'damping' than those where the reed is held by a hard substance...usually metal, like the 2-screw, the FL and the EDII....or whatever it's now called (the last might be a bit 'in between' in that the lig is fabric but there is a metal plate to 'locate' the reed).
The Olegature(metal mesh) is probablyanother 'in betweener' too, IMO.
I have an Olegature on my alto and an EDII on the tenor and am in the process of trying the various combinations the ED offers ....probably won't hear any difference :)

What I do definitely like about fabric ligs is that they don't scratch mpcs ... :)

I use a Rovner ligature with Mass Load technology. I think my sound is "bigger" and more "freeblowning" with this ligature. I have a Rovner Deep-V but even on my Dukoffs the Mass Load ligature makes a difference compared to the BG "FL" that I used before.

Saxophone Ligature, Clarinet, Mouthpiece

Thomas

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom