support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Ligature vs reed vs mouthpiece comparison - Can you hear much of a difference?

Hi Pete,

To my ears at least there is precious little difference between any of the scales.

Supposing you were to play to a metronome so that the speed of each scale was exact, I bet you'd be able to cut between each recorded track with it's unique combination of lig, reed and mouthpiece and get away saying it was done with one set up and in one take.

But maybe my ears aren't as well tuned as some, I'm sure some will hear clear and distinct differences.

Just out of curiosity, when playing the metal PPT do you hear a difference in your head, when compared to the onyxite, even if the recording suggest there is very little audible difference to an audience/microphone? I was just wondering if the material has a perceived effect on the tone to the player because of the of the way that material transmits the vibrations through and into our skulls.

Thanks for the recordings,

Chris

In the lig comparison I couldn't identify any consistent differences, but I reckon reed A is cane and B is the synthetic.

In the first reed comparison A=cane B=synth
second A=synth B=cane

I've no idea which mouthpiece is which but I think A in the first is the same as B in the second.

The differences are tiny so the above is probably cobblers.

I was just thinking that, if this was SOTW, you'd have a full-scale argument going by now ....I guess 'cos their ears are so much more finely attuned :)
I couldn't detect any real pattern, or differences which couldn't be attributed to their having been played at different moments in time!

I had a listen, heard a couple of things. Put my headphones on to hear things better, cos the pc speakers are so poor. Then there was a huge difference, but it was the headphones. Need to have another list before I say anything, but it's clear the differences are small.

Ok this is what i heard:

Ligs:
A,A,A, Reasonably bright with some core.
A,A,B, Very bright sound and quite robust.
A,B,A, Sounds thin.
A,B,B, Sounds shallow and weak.

Reeds:
A,A,A, Darker sound with more core.
A,B,A, Sounded bright but seemed like it was on the verge of squeaking.
B,B,A, Couldent tell any difference between this and A,B,A.
B,A,A, Sounded darker than the others without much else going on in there.

Mouthpieces:
A,A,A, Quite colourfull and bright.
A,A,B, Bit brighter than A,A,A.
B,A,A, & B,B,A, Sounded very similar, couldent really tell much difference, but it did sound as though you were struggling with this piece a bit.

Ok this is what i heard:

Ligs:
A,A,A, Reasonably bright with some core.
A,A,B, Very bright sound and quite robust.
A,B,A, Sounds thin.
A,B,B, Sounds shallow and weak.

Reeds:
A,A,A, Darker sound with more core.
A,B,A, Sounded bright but seemed like it was on the verge of squeaking.
B,B,A, Couldent tell any difference between this and A,B,A.
B,A,A, Sounded darker than the others without much else going on in there.

Mouthpieces:
A,A,A, Quite colourfull and bright.
A,A,B, Bit brighter than A,A,A.
B,A,A, & B,B,A, Sounded very similar, couldent really tell much difference, but it did sound as though you were struggling with this piece a bit.

That doesn't actually make sense, because e.g.) in each case, A,A,A is the same soundfile, but they are sounding different to you.

Ho ho. I misunderstood it too so my results are cobblers.:)))

I thought you'd mixed up the a and b designations. So, for instance, reed a is always the same, lig a is always the same, and so on?

Just call me cloth ears.

That doesn't actually make sense, because e.g.) in each case, A,A,A is the same soundfile, but they are sounding different to you.
Yes i realize that, but they all sound quite different to me...must have been the order in which i listened to them in each sub group that made me hear them differently.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom