• Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

LIGATURE NEEDED FOR METAL OTTO LINK -TENOR

brianr

Account Closed
Price of Item
$70.00
Cafe Fundraising
5%
I use a metal selmer ligature on my vintage metal Otto Link.
It works great and I prefer it to several original otto link ligatures.

it fits really nicely and holds the reed well.

However, I notice that with all the sliding it on and off, it is slowly rubbing away the metal plate on the mouthpiece, leaving just the bare brass.

So, Im thinking of trying something else.

Ideally something with minimal metal to metal contact.

does anyone have anything that may suit.

thanks

I'd very much recommend a fabric Rovner or BG on a Link - that's what I use on mine. I think mine was the model intended for use ojn a metal bari piece. Fits really well.

Brian, I think the BG "L24RJ - TENOR OTTO LINK REVELATION JAZZ" is the one you need. At least it works well on a 'modern' metal Otto Link.

thanks to both for your input.

Yes, I had thought about going down that route.
I used to use Rovner or Bg on alto.

I have been seeing players on those modern type ligs that have minimum contact with the reed.

Eg. .....Winslow, Francois Louis, Saxxas

But ive never even seen one close up, never mind played one, so hoped one of those types may have popped up here.

Hi Brian

I've just been experimenting with Rovner fabric ligatures for the reason you gave: metal scratches the mouthpiece. I have the sizes for a JodyJazz DV NY mouthpiece which takes the same size ligatures as a metal Otto Link. I therefore have the following in size 3ML which I am going to sell:
Light
MK III
Van Gogh

I also have a Dark, but it is sized for an Otto Link New York model.

My opinions on these ligs:
The Dark, MK III and Van Gogh gave similar responses. The Van Gogh gave slightly easier low notes but only when loosened, and I found it a faff. The MK III was easiest to centre as it has stitching which follows the edge of the reed.

The Light was the only one which seemed to give a tonal difference, maybe more of a pop / smooth jazz tone.

Personally I'd recommend the MK III.

I didn't try the ligatures with metal inserts as they might scratch the table when stored on the mouthpiece. My favourite was a Star Series, which is not for sale. Easy to centre and compact in size.

Please let me know if any of these interest you and then we can work out a price / donation.

Many thanks

On the subject of ligature. Have you seen this thread about the ultimate ligatures ?

No, I hadnt seen that. thanks for posting.

A very interesting comparison.

To me ears there can be no question that the ligature at 3.02 was the best.
the sound had a lot of balls. Im not sure he could have squeezed any more in there.
the bottom end was big and fat, but with just the right amount of roundness.
the sound was nice and centered. Not favouring too much to the left or to the right. Nothing worse than when things hang the wrong way, and make it uncomfortable.
it looked really comfortable. Nothing worse than when things are too tight
overall, a very nice "package"

Ps I thought he had a great sound on all of them. Hard to remember a single "bum" note.
Oops, I tried so much not to use the word "hard" in this post.:blush:.

jeanette, I ended up staying with the ligature I was using.

so, im happy if you want to remove the thread.

thanks

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom