support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

M/Pieces - Ligs Ligature for metal otto link

Tommy Ng

Hi all

Wonder if anyone can suggest a good ligature for tenor metal otto link? I am using BG standard jazz at the moment but feel that it is not secure enough.

Cheers

tom ;}

dooce

I have a standard Selmer 2-screw lig which has been bent to fit over the rib at the top of the Link - that means it never swivels off-centre and is pretty much a permanent fixture on the mouthpiece. Great innovation - thanks to Woodwind & Reed in Cambridge.

dooce

I wouldn't have thought so. It's a snug fit on the link and I would expect a lig for an ebonite piece to be a larger diameter.

Neffmusic

It's the Selmer 404 lig he's talking about It a silver 2 screw lig. I have tried hundreds of ligs and the best one for me is still my Selmer 404. I haven't found one I like better.

814jazzer

The ligature in question goes with the METAL Selmer mouthpieces.

I've used the same for years - much better than the stock Link lig.

best,
~ Rick

Mikey B

Isn't the stock link lig about the worst fitting lig ever? Almost as bad a fit as the metal link itself on my tenor's neck!

But really though, I love my link 7* STM on my Tenors, I use the Rovner Dark-3ML and find it works very well.

Mike

saxnik

In reply to Der Wikinger, yes I think so - they're ok for a while but I think fatigue sets in fairly early on, and shoulders over the ridge at the top get looser. Without that, it slides a bit. So I swapped to a Rovner and had a few years on that before it got tired...
I thought I'd 'upgrade' to a BG Revelation Jazz lig, which does sound better to my ears than the Rovner dark, but doesn't really fit my alto STM, and the reed slips. Even though it's supposed to fit Links...

I do still use a Rovner Light on my Berg Larsen on tenor - never had a problem with a Rovner fitting, but haven't found one I really think was an improvement in terms of sound.

Anyway, here's a link to Rovner's sizing guide...

Cheers,

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

bariandyf

Does the Selmer 404 lig fit the Otto Link STM NY, or does it only fit the regular STM?
not really - it kind of goes on some of the way but it's a very tight fit. I tend to use the 404 on a standard STM and the stock lig on the NY STM.

sirspinbad

i still cant understand why so many people dis the oto link ligs...i only play the vintage ones,but they sound the best....only lig i like better is theo wanne's and he based his design on the main principles from otto link

TomMapfumo

So there you have it...........! I play a Barone Jazz on Tenor - close to the Link NY. I have a Rico H ligature on it, which is excellent!

Kind regards
Tom

I must admit I'm not a great fan of Babbitt current production - just lacks quality and consistency IMO.

koumou

So there you have it...........! I play a Barone Jazz on Tenor - close to the Link NY. I have a Rico H ligature on it, which is excellent!

Kind regards
Tom

I must admit I'm not a great fan of Babbitt current production - just lacks quality and consistency IMO.
Hello Tom, Happy new year to you and to all the other forum members.
I have a Pillinger refaced STM NY 7 and a Rico H which does not fit. Currently waiting for a BG standard and a BG metal to try out.

picconose

I am using a Link New York 6* on tenor, and was playing with one of Phil Rovener's ligatures, but fussing with it. When Phil sat in with the band I was in, he brought out a clarinet ligature, and tossd it to me, saying, "Put it on upside down, with the bars on either side of the reed, and the band across the top of the mouthpiece." That was about five years ago, and I have been using it that way ever since. It gives me a great big open sound, lots of control, and no problems with slipping or any of that nonsense.

sirspinbad

thats wierd!!!...the main complaint about rovners i the screw scraping the mouthpiece....i have current rovner that have a little patch that covers the scre,so the problem is solved....however in this case,the screw could damage the reed..or the little patch would muffle the reed...

as to the cost of vintage link ligs,or theo wanne ligs....the average price of a lig seems to be about 40 bucks...so whats the problem in spending a bit more if it gets you what your really looking for???

Top Bottom