support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Ligature do I really need a fancy one ?

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
I have a setup I'm happy with king clevland alto with meyer and v16 reed but I have the standard meyer lig is it worth changing or should I stay with what I have got . Cheers in advance :)

Just to add I have had a look at the vandorren optimum is this good with meyer

If it ain't broke........

So long as it fits and does the job why would you change?

Just curious really would it make it any better . Maybe I just want something shiny and new :p

Ok so have you guys stayed with the standard one on your setup ??

I have a modified £4 chinese textile lig for my vintage lelandais for tenor which came without one. The one that came with the mp on alto some 60years old now. Baritone is another cheapy textile which was the only one I could get to fit the S80 that I bought in the 1980's. My latest adventure on sop is with a Bari esprit which came with lig and cap.

I think I might try a few just for fun and see for myself if there is any difference . But as said the one I have works perfectly well with my setup so unless there is something that really gets my attention I will stay with what I have . Cheers for your replys :)

You'd get a better sound if you got a better Meyer type mouthpiece - several around. Many Meyer mouthpieces are not well made and
several folks actually do some further work on them to level the table and improve the facing curve etc. Big debate about whether ligatures improve the sound you get - Pete and Colin and others are in the no party, me and many others are in the yes party. I use a Marc Jean ligature on my Meyer type mouthpieces (Phil-Tone Aurora, Drake NY Jazz and Mouthpiece Cafe NYC Bros) and the sound is deep and solid with a brilliant lower register particularly. At the end of the day it is subjective and it may be worth you having a look and making your own mind up. Otherwise you will never know. A cheap recommendation is the Francois Louis Basic Ligature which costs under £30 - http://www.sax.co.uk/acatalog/Francois-Louis-Basic-Ligature.html http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/04/marc-jean-ligature-review/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so have you guys stayed with the standard one on your setup ??

I have a drawer of those things. Some of them fit better, some of them seem to sound better, some of them are wrong or look too ugly for my stylish way of life.

And I often change my mind on the subject.

If you try a Rovner-like ligature, it might get rid of some edge from the sound.

The only way is trying...

I for one do not spend a fortune on ligatures, and have zero problems to report.

I for one do not spend a fortune on ligatures, and have zero problems to report.

That may be the case for you. But i understand that the op is interested in players that spend a bit more than a few bucks for a ligature. and would like an idea if it is worth the outlay. Its a personal choice and i think it is worth the time and effort.

i HIGHLY suggest getting a Francois Louis ultimate ligature, (in my avatar picture) i had the vandoren optimum and it is nowhere near as good or as responsive as the Francois Louis, i also have a rovner versa (Eddie Daniels) ligature on my alto and that is nice too but the F.Louis is better, really allows the reed to open up and does not stifle it as others do. Ligatures DO make a difference, many say they do not, as i used to but after much ligature experiments i now see the difference.

That may be the case for you. But i understand that the op is interested in players that spend a bit more than a few bucks for a ligature. and would like an idea if it is worth the outlay. Its a personal choice and i think it is worth the time and effort.

The OP is indeed asking if it is worth the extra cost, and I am of the opinion that in general it is not necessary. His post suggests that he is curious about the experience of others who have experimented with this (and with 30+ years playing, I certainly have), and I gave my 2 cents.

I think that many very experienced players lose certain auditory skills and cannot hear differences as well as others. Having tried the Vandoren Optimum and also the Francouis Louis Pure Brass I can say that the FL is much better, as described above. The Marc Jean is better still, but you have to have tried them to know.

The OP is indeed asking if it is worth the extra cost, and I am of the opinion that in general it is not necessary. His post suggests that he is curious about the experience of others who have experimented with this (and with 30+ years playing, I certainly have), and I gave my 2 cents.
I'm with you on this.
As long as it holds the reed securely it's fine.
I use a selmer 404 on several mouthpieces including tenor otto links, jody jazz DVNY, Drake metal tenor and a berg metal baritone piece.
Just the one lig and it works perfectly on all of these pieces.

I think that many very experienced players lose certain auditory skills and cannot hear differences as well as others. Having tried the Vandoren Optimum and also the Francouis Louis Pure Brass I can say that the FL is much better, as described above. The Marc Jean is better still, but you have to have tried them to know.

I have an issue with the term "better".
My lost auditory skills make me think that the major effect of a ligature on the sound consists in dampening some frequencies.
I find this quite dramatic in Rovner or Faxx ligatures, than on many of my mouthpieces dampen some high harmonics. This can be good on an edgy piece, bad on a dark piece, according with what you want.

About FL and optimum, I cannot stand the sight of a FL and its ligature/cap system seems too uncomfortable.
I tried the Optimum on clarinet and it did not convince me to spend that money. Rovner platinum did on clarinet, but now I use a simple Faxx or a normal 2 screws. Absolute metal mouthpieces come with a ligature that is a jewel and I will try to have some done for my current pieces.

I am very likely to change my mind after the heath wave is gone and all my instruments will play differently and no reed in the house will work.

The OP is indeed asking if it is worth the extra cost, and I am of the opinion that in general it is not necessary. ............

......for the sound? No, not necessary!

In order to LOOK cool and as a conversation piece or Fashion statement ? They are essential!

Cannot buy anything cheaper than an impressive looking ligature to attract some attention. The weirder the better.

Sound wise if a ligature FITS WELL (and not all do) it will respond well and similarly to another well fitting ligature.

But cool is important too ;}, this days for little money, you can buy some reasonably cool ligs.

But cool is important too ;}, this days for little money, you can buy some reasonably cool ligs.

I can offer £30 for that three-band-Kenny-Garrett-like that came with that old tenor....
The one like this
If I re-sell it, I will invite you for dinner (wines excluded from the deal, but we can share the bill).

A cool ligature:

CoolLigature.jpg

Back
Top Bottom