Tutorials

Licks and Riffs

JohnnyFletch

Hi guys

Does anybody know of a good book/cd or even DVD for licks/riffs? My teacher wants me to listen to some stuff for inspiration but I would also like to get a good book/cd to help me pick up some stuff.

Thanks in advance

Fletch

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Last edited by a moderator:

AlanB

Johnny,
ADG Productions publish a really excellent series of books. Each one contains about 100 riffs/grooves extracted from about 30 tunes. There is a CD so you can hear the groove and then play along with the rhythm section only. I really like these books and they are a good way to start building your repertoire. I only have the "Ultimate Funk Grooves" at the moment.
On the ADG website you can download samples of music and notation, and also get a pack of bonus riffs and music. The PDF and MP3 version is also available to buy and download, if you don't want to wait for the books. I know that Jazzwise sells this series which is where I bought mine (very fast and efficient delivery)

Ultimate Funk Grooves for Eb (Alto) Saxophone
JAZZWISE LINK

Ultimate Funk Grooves for Bb (Tenor) Saxophone
JAZZWISE LINK

100 Ultimate Jazz Riffs For "Eb" instruments
JAZZWISE LINK

100 Ultimate Jazz Riffs For "Bb" instruments
JAZZWISE LINK

100 Ultimate Blues Riffs for Alto Saxophone and Eb instruments
JAZZWIZE LINK

100 Ultimate Blues Riffs for Tenor Saxophone & Bb instruments
JAZZWISE LINK

Ultra Smooth Jazz Grooves for Eb (alto) instruments
JAZZWISE LINK

Ultra Smooth Jazz Grooves for Bb (tenor) instruments
JAZZWISE LINK

I hope this helps,
Cheers,
Alan

Last edited by a moderator:

half diminished

My teacher is Karen Sharp, an awesome Jazz sax professional and she has me working on a number of exercises to help me improvise. She has also suggested I transcribe some of Dexter Gordon's solos and also melodies, carefully studying and mimicking the phrasing as well as the choice of notes. It's not easy but it is fun. Again once you have something you like try it in all the keys.

I am using Transcribe to help this and also trying to play be ear - just small passages/riffs of one, two or four bars and then trying them in different keys.

Pete does have some great things on his main website as mentioned earlier. I do have 100 Ultimate Jazz Riffs For "Bb" instruments which is OK but to be honest I prefer learning direct from the masters. Having said that, i am starting to jot down any short passage of music I hear that I'd like to try as the basis for a riff.

Also, Karen has me working on chord tones to the 7th and 9th and it's amazing what great riffs you can play if you use jazz articulation and these 4 or 5 notes. I also sometimes try taking a tune - say Doxy or Autumn leaves and play the same rhythm and articulation but with different notes within the chord progression of a different song. Doesn't always work that well but does get you thinking!

Now if only I could do any of this improvisation stuff spontaneously and get my brain/fingers working quicker I'd be pretty good!

AlanB

I do have 100 Ultimate Jazz Riffs For "Bb" instruments which is OK but to be honest I prefer learning direct from the masters. Having said that, i am starting to jot down any short passage of music I hear that I'd like to try as the basis for a riff.
Half Diminished - yes I think it is good to practice from the masters. The book I use though, 100 Funk Grooves, takes riffs directly from Funk classics, but I am not sure about the other books.
Cheers,
Alan

Top Bottom