Funk Leo P Playing the Contrabass at Sax.co.uk

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
It's a Benedikt Epplesheim contrabass and I want one.
You'll need to get the haircut first! :cool:
You'll also need a big car.
But what an entrance you could make at the next big band rehearsal.

That's a seriously impressive piece of playing by Mr P, but I don't understand why he is wearing crossbar trousers.

BigMartin

Nice playing , and the contrabass has the added bionus of stopping him from doing all that stupid jumping around. It is a shame about the trousers, though.

Fraser Jarvis

Went to watch him play at Leicester a year or so ago. Funny thing was i was a bit late getting to the gig and was finding it hard to park near the venue so decided to try one of the side streets, drove down this street and saw a parking spot and was aware there was someone standing right next to were i wanted to park, as i got out the car it was only Leo P on the phone to his mum, couldn’t believe it and had to squeeze past him as i got out! Never spoke to him but had a chat with him in the club later, seemed a very nice lad...

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Putting myself out on a limb here, but you don't need to invest up to £24K on a musical instrument in order to make the same sounds as blowing through cupped hands or scractching old records on a couple of decks.

trimmy

One day i will...
Don’t like the sound the Contra makes, it really does nothing for me.
A Bari has to be played well for me to enjoy that too, must be my ears !

Too Many Zooz are playing Band on the Wall tonight

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Maybe something more conventional ?

And if you stay watching towards the end there is a picture of some more conventional trousers and hair.

Rhys

BigMartin

Maybe something more conventional ?
Thanks for sharing that, @rhysonsax but I found myself wishing it was on the baritone. To my ears, Leo P's video made better use of the distinctive qualities of the instrument. I'm not going to rush out and buy one (or two --- always good to have a spare ;)) but it made me think perhaps the contrabass has a legitimate use after all.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I’m pretty susceptible to GAS, but I don’t think owning a contrabass would enhance my quality of life in a meaningful way.
However, à chaqueun son contrabasse, as Mr Sax would no doubt have said.

David Dorning

Subscriber
A Bari has to be played well for me to enjoy that too, must be my ears !
I saw a clip of Mr P warming up before a concert once. From memory he was playing some very conventional stuff on bari and sounding extremely competent. Nothing like his stage act, more like someone who has mastered all the standard musical experiences, got them under his fingers and using them for a rigorous workout.

Top Bottom