support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Lelandais

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
The postman brought my new mouthpiece today. An alto Jack Heyworth A2 Lelandais. I've had some success with one for the tenor and have been bidding on several alto pieces. I've been getting a little dissatisfied with the Ben Davis I've been playing for 30 years in certain band line ups. The Ben Davis is fine for solo work and busking but lacks a little clout when up against trumpet and trombone in a trad or New Orleans line up.

First impressions are good. I recorded this warm up piece to compare sound and am pleasantly surprised with everything about it. It's so easy to control I occasionally forget to and it gets away.

https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/misty

I think it's a keeper. A tiny piece that accepts the gear4music lig that came with the sop.

Last edited:
I can't stand Leylandii.

It ought to be classified as an obnoxious weed.

The postman brought my new mouthpiece today. An alto Jack Heyworth A2 Lelandais. I've had some success with one for the tenor and have been bidding on several alto pieces. I've been getting a little dissatisfied with the Ben Davis I've been playing for 30 years in certain band line ups. The Ben Davis is fine for solo work and busking but lacks a little clout when up against trumpet and trombone in a trad or New Orleans line up.

First impressions are good. I recorded this warm up piece to compare sound and am pleasantly surprised with everything about it. It's so easy to control I occasionally forget to and it gets away.

I think it's a keeper. A tiny piece that accepts the gear4music lig that came with the sop.

Sounding good Col :)

Jx

Last edited:
yeah real nice vintage sound! love the low end notes..

misty has my preference

Last edited:
I've seen them go for less and for quite a lot more. My tenor piece came from Spain and was £35 including postage. I'll be watching for a sop piece now.

c
see link above
cheers,i saw the ebay listing for jack heyworth piece,was that the lelandais?
it looks like an old king style mouthpiece i had once?does it say lelanais or france on it somewhere?
i donot know much about these,so just wondering...
have you seen anything like this one i will try and upload?
cheers,philip

Attachments

• lelandais alto metal super jazz2.jpg
    lelandais alto metal super jazz2.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 213
It sounds great. Full dynamic range. Can it scream too?

c

cheers,i saw the ebay listing for jack heyworth piece,was that the lelandais?
it looks like an old king style mouthpiece i had once?does it say lelanais or france on it somewhere?
i donot know much about these,so just wondering...
have you seen anything like this one i will try and upload?
cheers,philip

There's a lot of info here
http://mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/Lelandais.html

It sounds great. Full dynamic range. Can it scream too?

I'm still exploring. It plays very loud, effortlessly up top. Intonation needs very little input. I played it 6 hours yesterday and another 4 today. I'm not even tired and my lip isn't bruised. I put the ben davis on for 5 mins today to compare the tone. I couldn't play it. It likes a rico royale better than a Vandoren so I might start exploring reeds to see what it can do.

I can't believe an accidental find for the tenor has opened the door to a new world of alto.

Last edited:
They seem to have sorted the issues they were having at sound cloud so I'll stick them on there and clear out the box a bit.

https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/autumn-leaves

View: https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/misty

Last edited:
Very nice sound and play :thumb:

Tried it last night sitting in with the "nearly famous Forest New Orleans Jazz band". Blends well with the front line with plenty left to carve a slot between the trombone and trumpet. Nice and easy on the solos apart from the song I didn't know in Ab. I hate Ab almost as much a Db.