support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds legere synthetic reeds

They are very critical as to placement so play around a bit a find the sweet spot.

They recommended to me that I only play a reed for about 45 minutes then give it a good rest. I have found that if playing constantly in that time its best to put on another reed and rest the first one for at least an hour. If I am only playing horn lines and a few solo's I find that I can do a 3 set gig with 15 minute rests between 45-50 minute sets with no deterioration.

I am on the same 2 alto reeds now for over a year.

I really ought to try one of these Legere Signatures.
I did a gig a few weeks back, and owing to a bit of a cock-up on the reed front I found myself on the night before the gig with no decent Rico Plasticover reeds.
I did, however, have a couple of Bari synthetics - which I've never really got on with, a couple of older Legeres - which were no good, and two Fibracell reeds which seemed OK.
So I used a Fibracell. It wasn't as toneful as the Ricos, but it put on a good show over a two hour rock gig - and I'll admit I was quite impressed.

I've always said that if I ever found a synthetic reed I liked, I'd use it all the time...so maybe it's time I had another look at them.

I wanted to try the Black Bamboos, but they weren't available in my regions, so I bought a Forestone Hinoki (tenor) instead. They're pretty good, if a bit duller than I'm used to, and not as responsive as cane.

They are very critical as to placement so play around a bit a find the sweet spot.

They recommended to me that I only play a reed for about 45 minutes then give it a good rest. I have found that if playing constantly in that time its best to put on another reed and rest the first one for at least an hour. If I am only playing horn lines and a few solo's I find that I can do a 3 set gig with 15 minute rests between 45-50 minute sets with no deterioration.

I am on the same 2 alto reeds now for over a year.

I switched to the Legere Signature Reeds about 8 years ago, and at first found them very tricky to get placed right. It doesn't help that I play silver MPs on tenor, so the reed nearly vanishes at the tip, and you need really good lighting to place it. (This is especially true until you're familiar with the "sweet spot" as Jazzaferri so accurately described it.)

With regards to the length of time the reed can be played, I've found over the years that these reeds no longer have that 45 minute limit.

When I first started using them, I played in a rock & blues band, and I played and soloed A LOT. I barely got through a 45 minute set without my reed going so soft that I couldn't hit my altissimo notes anymore by the time we got to the last song in the set.

However, shortly after I started using them, something changed in the reeds. Now I no longer have problems with "Legere Reed fatigue" as I referred to it as,

I think I may have stated earlier in this thread, but in case I didn't: I use the reeds on all but one of my horns (SATB sax, as well as Bb, and bass clarinet), I have no problems using the same reed for the entire rehearsal or show, but do have 4 or more that I rotate between. Yes, they last a really, really, long time. (4 reeds/year). That said, I have had quite a few duds in the last couple of years, and at what they cost, that's where my hackles go up a bit.

What do you guys do with yer old synthetic reeds?
Drop 'em in the goldfish bowl or grind 'em up in your next bolonese sauce perhaps ?
I used to love fish fingers with a parsley sauce, peas and carrots and pommes every Fryday.
I can remember many years ago meeting and chatting with a well known jazz saxer who had studied with Joe Allard.
He told me that when he discovered synthetic reeds he was excited as to how good they were.
At his next lesson with Joe he told him about his discovery.
Joe appeared to be curious and asked if he could have a look at the reed.
He took the reed, examined it and smashed it into the music stand and said "okay, now we'll learn how to play the saxophone".
Sorry, please excuse me, I'm not a Bio terrorist but . . . does it really have to be plastic ?