All profit supporting   special needs music

Reeds Legere Signature alto sax reed - Advice please...

GsySaxMan

GsySaxMan

Locality
Guernsey
I have been reading the threads about plastic reeds, and would like to give a LS 2 a try simply because I like to practise a lot and it will reduce my preparation time and clean up time; hopefullyas well being consistent in its playing, at my level.

My question is this, currently I am using a Rico Royal 1.5 and wondered if anyone had used a LS 2 and is it comparable or would the reed be too hard at my level - only about 3 months playing.

Or maybe a Hahn 1.5 or Fibracell Soft might be a better choice.

Thanks for any thoughts?

Ken

dooce

dooce

Locality
Daventry
Can't comment on Legere or Fibracell, but Hahn tend to be softer than cane strengths, i.e. you would be looking at 2 or even 2.5 to match a Rico 1.5. In my experience, Hahn are great for noisy band work, but I'm not sure I would want to practice with them. They don't do mellow.......

VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Locality
Milton Keynes (ish)
Ken, what's your mouthpiece (and what facing in particular)? I say this as it makes a big difference. It's much easier to use a harder reed with a narrower facing. How are you finding the Rico Royal 1½s?

FYI, I have been playing for less than a month (though I did play a bit 20 years ago). With my alto, I've been using Alexander Superial 1½ reeds with a #9 mouthpiece (which is kinda extreme, but hey!). Originally, I bought strength 2½ Superials and, whilst I could use them with my Yamaha 4C, I couldn't get a squeak out of my #9 Yani; so I went down two steps to 1½. I think I could probably move up to strength 2 though. Legere Signatures are reasonably soft for their strength, on a par with Rico Jazz Select 2M.

http://www.legere.com/index.php?page=strength-charts

I reckon you'll probably be fine with a strength 2 Legere and, if not, your embouchure will probably strengthen quite quickly to accommodate it. Legere Signatures aren't cheap at £20, but I'd probably buy an alto strength 2 off you if it didn't work out!

GsySaxMan

GsySaxMan

Locality
Guernsey
Hi VK,

Using my standard Yamaha 4C as supplkied with the YAS-275, and been advised by my teacehr that that will do me for a year or so.

The RR 1½s seem quite soft and carry a lot of moisture, but that's probbaly my technique. I tried a Rico orange 2½ but that was too hard for me or the MPC or both.

That's what I was thinking about helping my embouchure to toughen up if the LS alto 2 is a bit harder; I will bear in mind you offer if it doesn't work out for me VK!

Thanks.

VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Locality
Milton Keynes (ish)
Unfortunately, I think the only way you'll really know if it works for you is if you try one... Incidentally, my tenor Legere Sig 2 also "carries a lot of moisture". To be honest, I'd hoped I'd have passed the "gob down the sax" phase by now!

GsySaxMan

GsySaxMan

Locality
Guernsey
Think that's my conclusion too; I am on the Reeds direct page as I type.......and thanks VK you seem to know a lot for a 1 month player!

Cheers.

VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Locality
Milton Keynes (ish)
Think that's my conclusion too; I am on the Reeds direct page as I type.......and thanks VK you seem to know a lot for a 1 month player!
Well, technically I'm a 20 year plus 1 month player!

I'd say one more thing: Feel free to try things, but recognize there is a tremendous benefit in sticking to a single setup, particularly whilst you are learning.

GsySaxMan

GsySaxMan

Locality
Guernsey
Well, technically I'm a 20 year plus 1 month player!

I'd say one more thing: Feel free to try things, but recognize there is a tremendous benefit in sticking to a single setup, particularly whilst you are learning.

Yes I understand that point and have resisted the GAS so far, but I am hoping that the LS 2 will allow me to drop the reed variable off my list of issues!

I am never going to be a Sonny Rollins or Candy Dulfer (just love the Lily was here track...) but maybe I can get a good tone out of the LS once my rhythm and everything else has improved.

Forever the optimist!

VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Locality
Milton Keynes (ish)
I am hoping that the LS 2 will allow me to drop the reed variable off my list of issues!
Which is exactly why I've gone down that route. Until my new mouthpiece arrives, I won't know how well a strength 2 Signature works for me, but it's really nice to be able to play a reed without having to wet it or break it in.

saxnik

saxnik

Locality
Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom
Give the LS2 a try, if it's too hard or soft Legere, or rather their distributors Bill Lewington's, will replace it with a different strength reed free of charge (though you'll have to wait and pay for delivery!).

Nick

P.S. you could of course split the difference between your 1.5 and 2.5 - try a RR2?

GsySaxMan

GsySaxMan

Locality
Guernsey
Thanks Nick; it's the softest they do so I am hoping it will work for me, or that I will grow into it!

Noted about the RR2.

Cheers,