All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Reeds Legere Signature alto sax reed - Advice please...

GsySaxMan

I have been reading the threads about plastic reeds, and would like to give a LS 2 a try simply because I like to practise a lot and it will reduce my preparation time and clean up time; hopefullyas well being consistent in its playing, at my level.

My question is this, currently I am using a Rico Royal 1.5 and wondered if anyone had used a LS 2 and is it comparable or would the reed be too hard at my level - only about 3 months playing.

Or maybe a Hahn 1.5 or Fibracell Soft might be a better choice.

Thanks for any thoughts?

Ken

dooce

Can't comment on Legere or Fibracell, but Hahn tend to be softer than cane strengths, i.e. you would be looking at 2 or even 2.5 to match a Rico 1.5. In my experience, Hahn are great for noisy band work, but I'm not sure I would want to practice with them. They don't do mellow.......

VirusKiller

Ken, what's your mouthpiece (and what facing in particular)? I say this as it makes a big difference. It's much easier to use a harder reed with a narrower facing. How are you finding the Rico Royal 1½s?

FYI, I have been playing for less than a month (though I did play a bit 20 years ago). With my alto, I've been using Alexander Superial 1½ reeds with a #9 mouthpiece (which is kinda extreme, but hey!). Originally, I bought strength 2½ Superials and, whilst I could use them with my Yamaha 4C, I couldn't get a squeak out of my #9 Yani; so I went down two steps to 1½. I think I could probably move up to strength 2 though. Legere Signatures are reasonably soft for their strength, on a par with Rico Jazz Select 2M.

http://www.legere.com/index.php?page=strength-charts

I reckon you'll probably be fine with a strength 2 Legere and, if not, your embouchure will probably strengthen quite quickly to accommodate it. Legere Signatures aren't cheap at £20, but I'd probably buy an alto strength 2 off you if it didn't work out!

GsySaxMan

Hi VK,

Using my standard Yamaha 4C as supplkied with the YAS-275, and been advised by my teacehr that that will do me for a year or so.

The RR 1½s seem quite soft and carry a lot of moisture, but that's probbaly my technique. I tried a Rico orange 2½ but that was too hard for me or the MPC or both.

That's what I was thinking about helping my embouchure to toughen up if the LS alto 2 is a bit harder; I will bear in mind you offer if it doesn't work out for me VK!

Thanks.

VirusKiller

Unfortunately, I think the only way you'll really know if it works for you is if you try one... Incidentally, my tenor Legere Sig 2 also "carries a lot of moisture". To be honest, I'd hoped I'd have passed the "gob down the sax" phase by now!

GsySaxMan

Think that's my conclusion too; I am on the Reeds direct page as I type.......and thanks VK you seem to know a lot for a 1 month player!

Cheers.

VirusKiller

Think that's my conclusion too; I am on the Reeds direct page as I type.......and thanks VK you seem to know a lot for a 1 month player!
Well, technically I'm a 20 year plus 1 month player!

I'd say one more thing: Feel free to try things, but recognize there is a tremendous benefit in sticking to a single setup, particularly whilst you are learning.

GsySaxMan

Well, technically I'm a 20 year plus 1 month player!

I'd say one more thing: Feel free to try things, but recognize there is a tremendous benefit in sticking to a single setup, particularly whilst you are learning.

Yes I understand that point and have resisted the GAS so far, but I am hoping that the LS 2 will allow me to drop the reed variable off my list of issues!

I am never going to be a Sonny Rollins or Candy Dulfer (just love the Lily was here track...) but maybe I can get a good tone out of the LS once my rhythm and everything else has improved.

Forever the optimist!

VirusKiller

I am hoping that the LS 2 will allow me to drop the reed variable off my list of issues!
Which is exactly why I've gone down that route. Until my new mouthpiece arrives, I won't know how well a strength 2 Signature works for me, but it's really nice to be able to play a reed without having to wet it or break it in.

saxnik

Give the LS2 a try, if it's too hard or soft Legere, or rather their distributors Bill Lewington's, will replace it with a different strength reed free of charge (though you'll have to wait and pay for delivery!).

Nick

P.S. you could of course split the difference between your 1.5 and 2.5 - try a RR2?

GsySaxMan

Thanks Nick; it's the softest they do so I am hoping it will work for me, or that I will grow into it!

Noted about the RR2.

Cheers,

Top Bottom