PPT mouthpieces

Leg lifting

Col

Locality
Petersfield, Hampshire
I played a gig last night and it was pointed out to me that I lift my left leg when soloing. :shocked:

Not really high, more of a Joe Cocker type twitch.

I've never noticed this before, and only do it on certain solos, but been informed by my wife that I do it all the time when I 'get into' a solo.

Does anyone else have any odd behaviours when playing?

Yes, I've been known to do that.

Could be because in the days of long flared trousers, I once did a solo while standing over a lit cigarette end. The solo ended prematurely due to my trousers being on fire.

lee Allen is famous for walking on the spot while playing (hence "Walking With Mr Lee"

Certain reggae guitarists adopted a "Get those knees up" military marching on the spot routine. Seeing Tom claims to have problems with recalling his fiftieth birthday and is learning Ska trombone, he should avoid this as a possible cause of arthritis. :)

I played a gig last night and it was pointed out to me that I lift my left leg when soloing. :shocked:

I've never noticed this before, and only do it on certain solos, but been informed by my wife that I do it all the time when I 'get into' a solo.

I close my eyes when soloing so I can visualise the notes (see other threads on synaesthesia). I'm told to engage an audience, one should look at them but when I'm soloing I don't really care. Is that bad? Don't answer, I don't care!!;}

Moz

It's easy, don't do it!.

It can only get us all a bad name.
But seriously, in the throes of a performance anything goes.

I love the fabulously talented Amy Winehouse but she has this tendency to pull up the hem of her dress, which I suspect is involuntry. (but cute).

Whereas, Noel Edmonds persists.
Why?

I close my eyes when soloing so I can visualise the notes (see other threads on synaesthesia). I'm told to engage an audience, one should look at them but when I'm soloing I don't really care. Is that bad? Don't answer, I don't care!!;}

Moz

I closed my eyes last night as well. I think it had more to do with playing at a British Legion, average age 90-ish. One lady flashed her knickers during 'Johnny be Good'. I've book a session with a shrink for later today.

Come to think of it, the audience the night before (leg lifting) were girls in their 20's. I think I've just answered my own question >:)

Leg lifting - sounds like a dog about to address a tree to me. :w00t:

I closed my eyes last night as well. I think it had more to do with playing at a British Legion, average age 90-ish. One lady flashed her knickers during 'Johnny be Good'. I've book a session with a shrink for later today.

You could be ok for a 'leg over' there;}

Joshua Redman lifts his leg up so that his knee is above waist height regularly whilst soloing.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is a sax player called Snake Davies (Davis?), He's not called Snake for nothing, when he plays he sways from the feet up. I saw him play at Sterts in Cornwall, great player, weird stance.

Moz

Joshua Redman lifts his leg up so that his knee is above waist height regularly whilst soloing.
Eh? Isn't that all a bit Jethro Tull?
Isn't soloing with eyes closed pretty standard practice to block out "unwanted sensory input". I used to have a teacher who recommended doing tone excercises in a dark/blacked out room.
Main problem with soloing with yer eyes shut is whacking the bell of the sax into your microphone, I speak from experience!

There is a sax player called Snake Davies (Davis?), He's not called Snake for nothing, when he plays he sways from the feet up. I saw him play at Sterts in Cornwall, great player, weird stance.

Moz

I think he lifts his legs up when he stands on something on the floor as he often plays bearfooted!

I tend to rock backward and forwards when i get going in solos, whether it looks good or not...?? Don't know. Phil

I don't close my eyes - but my knees perspire like crazy - so strange! My professor always told me that movement while playing was wasted energy - so I'm usually still as a statue - hence the wet knees? Weird. TMI I'm sure. :w00t:

Just before his sad demise, one famous saxophonist wrote advising me that leg lifting is permissible and acceptable. He did advise against lifting both legs simultaneously. I've always wondered why?

I don't close my eyes - but my knees perspire like crazy - so strange! :w00t:

I remember Captain Kirk rendering his alien foe prostrate by a swift kick to the knees, on account of that is where its genitalia were kept. I am not suggesting that applies to you, but are you of this earth?

Luluna; being a great fan of Peter King I've been fortunate to see him play many times. He is a one for fiddling with his sling (I like the old-fashioned term 'carriage' personally) but seems to plant his feet firmly and brace himself while playing and otherwise remains pretty immobile.

No sign of moisture on his lower limbs that I've detected, from a discrete distance of course.
Maybe it's a 'girl thing'?

Last edited by a moderator:
He did advise against lifting both legs simultaneously. I've always wondered why?

Strangely enough, I have a ritual that I always follow when I arrive at band practice - I lift both legs simultaneously as I find it's the easiest way to sit on my chair >:)

Cobblers

Just before his sad demise, one famous saxophonist wrote advising me that leg lifting is permissible and acceptable. He did advise against lifting both legs simultaneously. I've always wondered why?

Cobblers. I have three words to say to that advice. Big Jay McNeely:D