All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities

Lee Allen - new video transcription and analysis

randulo

playing 2 years
Subscriber

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I'm aware that many people will think it's pointless to analyse something as basic as rock and roll, but I thoght itb was intersting in this case that those actual composition concepts of motif, repeat, development, tension etc. are all there.

On the face of it Lee's playing may seeem quite basic. He does a lot of "on beat" simple melodic stuff - not a lot of complex syncopation or dextrousity - but that solo somehow just works and when you do the analysis you can see why. Obviously ta;ll that wasn't going through Lee's brain - it's a subconscious process that maybe somehow some people have naturally but it is still something I believe that can be learned.

Pete Effamy

On the face of it Lee's playing may seem quite basic.
Coming to Rock n Roll/Blues "last" I've found it the hardest. Took a while to not overplay at some point in a solo - being a lifelong lover of Paul Desmond I know how to do this in jazz, but somehow it doesn't translate as the vibe has to be hot. I love the solo. Great player - never heard of him. Thanks for posting Pete.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
On the face of it Lee's playing may seeem quite basic.
For a talentless chancer like me, that style of music is much more accessible and mimicable than most of the more complex Jazz based stuff that goes way above my head in both playability and theory. Simple, honest music to move to. It's not a style of music I really listen too in all honesty. Maybe I should..

randulo

playing 2 years
Subscriber
@Pete Thomas I can't remember where I heard or read it, but somewhere there was a short analysis of some of the licks that go way past simple rock, like where he goes down to the seventh degree to play part of a major 7th arpeggio. This is old hat in bebop, but kind of sexy in rock. There are two or three places where he does this in this song. These points are well worth noting, I get why you did this.

randulo

playing 2 years
Subscriber
Took a while to not overplay at some point in a solo
This is the hardest thing to do in "it's not jazz" tunes. The average listener doesn't wanna hear that stuff. Lee Allen successfully hides it in context, though.

John Laughter

If you think that you might like Lee Allen's style, tone and attitude and have never listened to him, here are a few more of his solos on hit records to ckeck out on Youtube. Make sure the Little Richard hits are on Specialty (45rpm) or London (78rpm) label.

READY TEDDY-LITTLE RICHARD -LEE ALLEN

RIP IT UP-LITTLE RICHARD -LEE ALLEN (solo)
ALVIN “RED” TYLER - BARITONE

SLIPPIN’ AND SLIDIN’-LITTLE RICHARD -LEE ALLEN (solo)

THE GIRL CAN’T HELP IT-LITTLE RICHARD -LEE ALLEN

TUTTI-FRUTTI-LITTLE RICHARD -LEE ALLEN (solo)

BABY FACE-LITTLE RICHARD -LEE ALLEN

JENNY, JENNY-LITTLE RICHARD - LEE ALLEN (solo)

LONG TALL SALLY-LITTLE RICHARD - LEE ALLEN (solo)
ALVIN “RED” TYLER- BARITONE

LUCILLE-LITTLE RICHARD -LEE ALLEN (solo)

MISS ANN-LITTLE RICHARD -LEE ALLEN

SEND ME SOME LOVIN’-LITTLE RICHARD -LEE ALLEN

GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY-LITTLE RICHARD -LEE ALLEN (solo)

BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON-LITTLE RICHARD -LEE ALLEN

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL-SHIRLEY & LEE-LEE ALLEN

I CAN’T GO ON-FATS DOMINO-LEE ALLEN

POOR ME-FATS DOMINO-LEE ALLEN

I’M IN LOVE AGAIN-FATS DOMIN-LEE ALLEN

IT’S YOU I LOVE-FATS DOMINO-LEE ALLEN

I WANT YOU TO KNOW-FATS DOMINO-LEE ALLEN

VALLEY OF TEARS-FATS DOMINO-LEE ALLEN

WAIT AND SEE-FATS DOMINO-LEE ALLEN

LITTLE MARY-FATS DOMINO-LEE ALLEN

THE BIG BEAT-FATS DOMINO-LEE ALLEN

NATURAL BORN LOVER-FATS DOMINO-LEE ALLEN

SHU RAH-FATS DOMINO-LEE ALLEN

Pete Effamy

This is the hardest thing to do in "it's not jazz" tunes.
It really is. Musically I knew it was poor judgement but it still took a long time in the heat of the moment to not resort to a flurry of notes, usually towards the end of the solo. It was the wrong sort of flurry though and didn't work. I've learned subsequently to make very little go a long way.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom