support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Lee Allen 1981 album

JanAthmer

I have a cassette entitled "Lee Allen's Rhythm and Blues Band" Recorded in London in 1981. label: NoLa TC-023. I've seen on the internet that the recordings on this cassette were released as an LP in 1991 entitled "Lee Allen" "If you don't, I know your sister will". The LP is also in the NoLa label. Lee was backed by Walter Kimble on tenor sax (like Lee also from the Fats Domino band) and the english band "Dizz and the Doorman" with a.o.Pete Thomas on barritone sax. The sound quality of my cassette is rather poor, but the musicianship on these recordings is excellent! My question is: does anyone have the LP. If so, how is the sound quality? And my second question: I guess both the cassette and the LP are bootlegs because no other label ever re-released these recordings. Am I right?

I have the album somewhere ( I suppose I sought to as I played on it!)

Neither are bootlegs, Nola was a (very) indie record label . The sound quality was not good. It was recorded very basically on a Tascam 4 track at the 100 club, Lee told me he was not happy with the sound. In fact a few years agfter the album release I was in discussion with Lee and Ace Records to produce an album, but sadly Lee became a victim to lung cancer. I visted him in the hospice in LA, he was still very keen to do it but died a week later :(

Thanks for the information Pete. I knew that there is a small Nola label, but I couldn't find the album there. So there are none of these recordings with a good sound quality. It's a pity because some tracks are excellent a.o.this version of Walking with Mr Lee. Hot Rod Special is my favorite solo Lee Allen recording from the fifties. I saw Lee many times with Fats here in the Netherlands. Last time was short before he died. That was a saxophone special night at Paradiso in Amsterdam, organised by Hans Dulfer (Candy Dulfer's father). That was a wonderful night: Lee Allen, Syl Austin and Boots Randolph had a dutch well rehearsed backing band. Unfortunately Lee was already ill back then and he didn't have the energy that he used to have. Earlier that year or the year before I had a little talk with him after a Fats Domino show. When we parted I said something like "see you again" and he answered "I'm not sure. I'm not that healthy anymore". Fats had many great saxophonists through the years. Lee, Herb Hardesty and Fred Kemp were my favorites in Fats' band. They had very different styles and sound. That worked out wonderful in Fats' band. Thanks again Pete!