support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Leather gig bags

The best is REUNION BLUES by far,very plush and alot of style,good padding.Cost abit but they age really nice.There's a cheap 1 by Bach but the fit is very poor,the sax move's about alot,i sold my bach and did not like it.Reunion Blue's do a Tenor and straight soprano leather bag in 1,you might be able to fit the saxello in that?who know's but they are a classy gig bag.

In my experience you're better off without one. They don't make the sax that much lighter to carry and you'll continously worry about the sax getting damaged wherever you put the bag.

Better off spending your money on a pile of reeds or some good saxophone books (Greg Fishman's books are right on the money).

In my experience you're better off without one. They don't make the sax that much lighter to carry and you'll continously worry about the sax getting damaged wherever you put the bag.

Better off spending your money on a pile of reeds or some good saxophone books (Greg Fishman's books are right on the money).

Thanks. As for Greg Fishman - nice guy and very talented. I met him at the Jazzwise Summer school last year - he was a tutor. His stuff is way too hard for me though, even slowed down a notch or 3!

Josh is right there,i really like my PROTEC hard case,got 2 for my tenor,there rather lite and very sturdy and good looking gig case's.They are great for the money,i like them alot and there's 2 outside pocket's for lot's of stuff.1 fall with your gig bag and it's goodbye tenor.

My only question is why would you want to place your pride and joy into a soft crush-able satchel when a hard case will protect your baby from loads of knocks. You wouldn't carry it around in a carrier bag would you? :shocked:

Yep, I agree with that. Big Chief say "good advice"

My only question is why would you want to place your pride and joy into a soft crush-able satchel when a hard case will protect your baby from loads of knocks. You wouldn't carry it around in a carrier bag would you? :shocked:

Big Chief (and Pee Dee) agree with that too

ooh those cases are very chic....

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/saxaphone_hiscox.htm

:mrcool:mrcool

..and so heavy. The tenor case weighs in at 3kg; rather more than the tenor it contains (unless it was the late tenor, Pavorotti >:) ).

Although having stated the above I have just realised I have no idea what my tenor sax weighs...hang on a minute... . .. . ... .... .... .. ..... ... ................................. ............... .................................................

.... . ........ .... ... ... .. ... .. . . .won't be a second..... ... .. ..... ... ... ... ...

........... ... . .... .... . .. ... .. . .nope, still don't know. Kitchen scales won't take the weight, bathroom scales not sensitive enough.

I would say it weighs about four kilos though, so just a bit more than the gig bag.

My own gig bag is fabric with padding and weighs less than a kilo (don't drop your bari on it though).

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya Luluna, glad you agree.
I know you're a Martin owner.

Late last year I bought a 1928 Martin Handcraft alto stencil that was a wreck.
After spending very many hours of love and care on stripping and re-building it I feel that this horn is truly mine, and I have an affection for it that is hard to describe.
Not the snappiest alto to play, but what a big and wonderful sound.
I love it.

Having seated the pads, regulated it and sorted out the balancing act that is the spring tension of the wonderfully convoluted octave mechanism, I decided that the soft bag it came in wasn't good enough.

It is perfectly able to withstand the normal rigours of playing, but a knock was unthinkable.
After all I'm really only the custodian for now. It lived before me and will still be playing after I'm gone.

The Hiscox case was the answer as it will accomodate the larger bell and is almost indestructable.
Peace of mind is assured.

Voila!

Josh is right there,i really like my PROTEC hard case,got 2 for my tenor,there rather lite and very sturdy and good looking gig case's.They are great for the money,i like them alot and there's 2 outside pocket's for lot's of stuff.1 fall with your gig bag and it's goodbye tenor.

I'll go along with that. Protec also do a model that will take vintage style big bell saxes - I bought one for my old Conn, then promptly replaced the Conn with a Cannonball - happily, with the same size bell so it still fits the case perfectly. I had used a Ritter soft bag for years but got increasingly paranoid about the sax getting damaged. I would use the Cannonball original case but it seems to have been built by an offshoot of the American defence industry - tank-like in weight and indestructability, but took great lumps out of my car boot every time I carried it.......

I wish I was graceful enough to carry my tenor in a soft and lighter case, but I'm a clutz and would probably trip on a crack in the sidewalk and squash it.

I just weighed my Selmer Tenor in the case....no wonder my back hurts, it's 10 kilos! If I subtract the weight of the case and use either a traditionally styled foam case with a shoulder strap, or the one listed below - it would weigh only 6.35 kilos. Looks like my flute case would fit in the side pocket as well. This is dangerou$ - but fun. ;}

http://shop.vendio.com/progearwarehouse/item/771194620/?s=1242199562

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom