support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Learning saxophone repair courses etc

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
Everyone on here who knows me also knows my profession as an arborist / tree surgeon . I love my job but I won't be able to do it forever . So I would just like advice from any repairers on here about how I could get into saxophone repair . I would be happy to work on a Saturday for free to learn the trade if anyone would have me . Also is there any home study courses were I can learn at home . I'm going to get the saxophone repair guide to start looking through the various techniques . Any help as always would be great :)

Andy,
you may want to get this book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-Woodwind-Repair-Manual/dp/0955666406 Not cheap but and excellent resource. I still dip in and out of my book. I studied 3yrs full time at Merton College (S London) . They used to do a part time course not sure if they do now. there are also plenty of repair manuals on pdf that can be downloaded on the web.
Hi griff thanks for the info I found a course today in Wales that I'm going on next year Inbetween then and now I'm going to get the book you suggested . What kind of tools could I get to start doing minor repairs etc .

HI Andy,
I would start with a few screwdrivers , your normal sized flat screwdriver for electric plugs and a phillips/posidrive are always useful for screws on sax key guards, some smaller screwdrivers, a spring hook, a pad slick, some smooth jawed pliers, a spirit lamp should get you started. If your working on saxes then a half decent leak light can be made using a mobile phone charger, some bell wire and a 12v 4W indicator bulb and socket (available from Maplins) An oil bottle with a needle applicator is a great bit of kit (60p on ebay) I use these for oil, flux for soldering, penetrating fluid. Another tool I tend to use for all sorts including getting underneath sax resonators to remove pads from the key cups is an old fashioned butter knife. A jewellers saw is a must if you are making parts. I would buy tools as you need them as opposed to forking out a bundle and not using them.

There are good sources for tools:
www.ferreestools.com - these tools are available from www.windcraft.co.uk
www.jlsmithco.com
www.boehmtools.de
www.hswalsh.com

and supplies

www.windcraft.co.uk
www.windplus.co.uk
www.prestini.de
www.musiccentre.it
www.ferreestools.com

I would wait until you've been on your course in Wales before rushing out any buying all the tools in the saxophone repair section of these books. A lot of them are not fit for purpose IMHO. I bought a few sets of sets of different tools and haven't used a load of them, but have utilised them by turning them into tools I can use.

If you get the Reg Thorpe Book, theres a section in there on tool making

PM me and I'll sent you some stuff.

Musicmedic.com have tools as well, service is good. Stephen Howard's Haynes saxophone manual is good and specifically aimed at beginners.

HI Andy,
I would start with a few screwdrivers , your normal sized flat screwdriver for electric plugs and a phillips/posidrive are always useful for screws on sax key guards, some smaller screwdrivers, a spring hook, a pad slick, some smooth jawed pliers, a spirit lamp should get you started. If your working on saxes then a half decent leak light can be made using a mobile phone charger, some bell wire and a 12v 4W indicator bulb and socket (available from Maplins) An oil bottle with a needle applicator is a great bit of kit (60p on ebay) I use these for oil, flux for soldering, penetrating fluid. Another tool I tend to use for all sorts including getting underneath sax resonators to remove pads from the key cups is an old fashioned butter knife. A jewellers saw is a must if you are making parts. I would buy tools as you need them as opposed to forking out a bundle and not using them.

There are good sources for tools:
www.ferreestools.com - these tools are available from www.windcraft.co.uk
www.jlsmithco.com
www.boehmtools.de
www.hswalsh.com

and supplies

www.windcraft.co.uk
www.windplus.co.uk
www.prestini.de
www.musiccentre.it
www.ferreestools.com

I would wait until you've been on your course in Wales before rushing out any buying all the tools in the saxophone repair section of these books. A lot of them are not fit for purpose IMHO. I bought a few sets of sets of different tools and haven't used a load of them, but have utilised them by turning them into tools I can use.

If you get the Reg Thorpe Book, theres a section in there on tool making

PM me and I'll sent you some stuff.
Cheers for all the info I'm going to start buying just a few bits to do my saxophone up a bit . I won't be taking it apart completely just doing what I feel comfortable with :) .

Musicmedic.com have tools as well, service is good. Stephen Howard's Haynes saxophone manual is good and specifically aimed at beginners.
Cheers kev I will grab this book also as I have been a regular visitor to his online reviews etc .

All excellent responses here---especially the Reg Thorp Woodwind Repair Manual. The optimum scenario as I see it is to take a formal course and then work as an apprentice to someone with years of experience. In addition to the written material that has been suggested I would also add the Music Medic Articles on Saxophone Repair. They are written clearly and concisely with good illustrations, and demonstrate a lot of good common sense advice you don't always find on the internet. Asking questions on a forum such as this one can also be a good source of information and may even start a fun argument over some minutiae between us know-it-all's in repair. :)

I've also got some info from Merton College about the part time course they do. It's one day a week over two years, costs about £3k in total. I don't know whether it would be feasible for you to go there from Southend, might be possible if you're a biker. Let me know if you want me to forward the stuff. Don't even bother with their website, it's crap.

All excellent responses here---especially the Reg Thorp Woodwind Repair Manual. The optimum scenario as I see it is to take a formal course and then work as an apprentice to someone with years of experience. In addition to the written material that has been suggested I would also add the Music Medic Articles on Saxophone Repair. They are written clearly and concisely with good illustrations, and demonstrate a lot of good common sense advice you don't always find on the internet. Asking questions on a forum such as this one can also be a good source of information and may even start a fun argument over some minutiae between us know-it-all's in repair. :)
Cheers for the link I will have a look :)
er

I've also got some info from Merton College about the part time course they do. It's one day a week over two years, costs about £3k in total. I don't know whether it would be feasible for you to go there from Southend, might be possible if you're a biker. Let me know if you want me to forward the stuff. Don't even bother with their website, it's crap.
That might be something to think about in a couple of years time I think if I asked my boss for day release he would go nuts . I will see how the course goes next year in Wales and reed books and watch youtube videos . I quite like the matt storer videos seems like a great repairer .

Hi griff thanks for the info I found a course today in Wales that I'm going on next year Inbetween then and now I'm going to get the book you suggested . What kind of tools could I get to start doing minor repairs etc .

Hi Andy, where and when is the course please?

Ow ok I was not sure if that was a private message cheers kev :)
New name, and it works much better than the pms on the old forum - effectively it's a private, by invitation thread so much easier to share with others. And you don't need to keep quoting, cos the older stuff is always there.