holly  All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities holly
Tutorials

Learning at Last

jupiterkiss

Hey

I finally done it, after years of wanting to take up the sax. My wife has given in and let me buy one.

I didn't have a lot in the budget so i bought a new one of these

http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_antique_tenor_saxophon.htm

off ebay for £190. It arrived today, so i took it around to the local saxophone shop in taunton for a once over. They advised me it was perfect for learning on, and it is a very well made Chinese horn (not sure what that means).

Anyway my main problem is that their is no more money in the pot for lessons, so reluctantly i gonna have try and self-teach.

Can any one advise if this possible, if so are they any good books out there? The style i love is Rock n roll/ Blues, i am not really jazz etc.

Cheers

Jupiterkiss

MartinL

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say YES you can, but it depends on your existing musical knowledge. Can you read music? how's you timing? these are areas where you may need a teacher, but not necessarily a Sax teacher. A DVD beginners lesson from ebay will get you putting it together properly and making a noise, after that there are many course books, Abracadabra is one good one. I would say get one with a CD though to help you get the timing

Good luck.

I've just got a cheap Chinese Tenor too, but I'm already playing Alto.

Welcome aboard.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi JK, welcome to the cafe, I'm probably not the best person to advise you on tutor books as I learnt from scratch with nothing. Now I'm stuck with a load of very bad habits that probably hold me back. What I do know is that Pete (who runs this site) has a number of books and Cd's/DVDs that other people have used with good results. I'd have a look round his site and see what you find. It's a mine of very useful information. Also, you can ask any questions on these pages. It doesn't matter if you think the question is daft, you will get an answer from someone, and anyway, if its that daft a question we'll get a good giggle without you seeing!! :)))
Have fun learning, and let us know how you get on with that sax. Personally I've never heard of them, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Welcome to the site with nearly everything you are going to need. I too am a newbie here but if you need help, you'll get it. Try Smartmusic.com. I used this software to get started and I'm still using it 10 months on. It does act as a teacher in so far as if you play the right note at the right time the note will be green and if its the wrong note or its mistimed it will be red and in the place where the mistake was made. For just getting started, the $30 cost is less than one lesson from a teacher. There are masses of features - tuner, accompaniments, vast selection of music, scales and several tutor books for beginners and improvers. I think it is a wonderful learning tool, but the tunes aren't all that inspiring. When I get better at pressing the buttons in the right order at the right time then I'll be able to play some of that sheet music that I bought in the first week, that is gathering dust in my music bag, but I aspire to play - one day? I'll just have to keep practising!

Welcome once again.

SteveK

There are so many starter books out there it's difficult to begin to name them. They sound a bit corny nowadays but the Mel Bay books are good.
Just go to a local shop and see what they have - the quality of these kind of tutors has improved dramatically over the past few decades and I don't think you are likely to find any real duffers on the market.
Start really simple and build up being sure you take each step in before moving on.
There is a really good book called 'The art of playing saxophone' by Larry Teal that is considered by many to be a must have. It is not a tutor but provide invaluable background information and it's a very interesting read.

When I started to play I had a tutor (and some money in those days) who told be to go out and buy the Charley Parker Omnibook and never to buy anything else. I don't think it is an approach that I'd take with a student but it is something to tell my grandchildren.
Steve

OP
J

jupiterkiss

Near to Taunton

Welcome JK

If Taunton is local whereabouts are you ? I am in bridgwater and have a book you can borrow
Hey JK

Thanks for the offer i live in a village called Creech st Michael. Which is about 8-9 miles way from bridwater.

Really Kind of you mate.

Cheers

Jupiterkiss

Private Message

i think I have sent you a PM if I havent send me one with a tel. no and maybe we can meet up ( theres a nice pub between us just before Walford Cross , I cant remember its name... Maypole ?? )
If you dont want my book its ok . Its just nice to chat saxophone Ive got a cheapo music stand Im about to throw out, you can have that if you need it

Derek

TomMapfumo

Hi there!

An excellent starter book is "The Jazz Method for Saxophone" by John O'Neill - starts at a very basic level up to grade 4/5 territory and has a CD so you can hear what things should sound like - it covers various styles of music, just does not have a focus on classical music and is designed for adults rather than kids - available for either Alto or Tenor sax. Other than that there is also a lot of online stuff on the Caff and several others.

Well done on starting with a sax - hope it goes really well for you.
Regards from Skabertawe
Tom:cool:

OP
J

jupiterkiss

Thanks for the warm welcome

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome and the good advice. Watch this space, i will upload some sound files so you guys can give me some feedback.

Ps. thats as soon as i can get a decent sound out of the damn thing:confused:

ukwoody

Ps. thats as soon as i can get a decent sound out of the damn thing:confused:
Damn. Are theses things meant to make a decent sound:confused::)))

Hi Jupiter and welcome. As everyone has told me you're never too old to start learning. I only found out yesterday what that thin wooden thing is for under the mouthpiece. I thought it was to keep the lounge door shut when I practice...;}

Regards woody

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom