support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How to play lead alto louder

Ok. This is really going to date me, but my concept of a lead alto sound was and still is shaped by Marshall Royal's playing in the Count Basie band. When I was in college playing lead alto, I spent hours playing along with Basie records trying to match and emulate the tone and style of this great player. Back then in the '60's "the" classical mouthpiece was a Selmer C* or D, and the jazz mouthpiece was a Meyer. It is interesting that 20 years later many players were using their Meyer in concert band and jazz mouthpieces had evolved to something louder, brighter, and buzzier.

Lovely innit!

It's recorded so well too - amazing job from the engineers. Oh how I envy any of you old enough to have seen the legends.

Ok. This is really going to date me, but my concept of a lead alto sound was and still is shaped by Marshall Royal's playing in the Count Basie band. When I was in college playing lead alto, I spent hours playing along with Basie records trying to match and emulate the tone and style of this great player. Back then in the '60's "the" classical mouthpiece was a Selmer C* or D, and the jazz mouthpiece was a Meyer. It is interesting that 20 years later many players were using their Meyer in concert band and jazz mouthpieces had evolved to something louder, brighter, and buzzier.

Beautiful! This semester in my big band, we're playing "Corner Pocket" and I play along with the Basie recording every practice. Marshall Royal is the quintessential lead alto and I have learned so much from this process. My swing feel has improved too.

Kendor Music has published all of the lead alto parts for all of the Sammy Nestico songs on the "Basie Straight Ahead" in one book. This link is to a vendor in Europe. There are also several places in the U.S. that sell the book as well. Lead Alto Basie Straight Ahead

Kendor Music has published all of the lead alto parts for all of the Sammy Nestico songs on the "Basie Straight Ahead" in one book. This link is to a vendor in Europe. There are also several places in the U.S. that sell the book as well. Lead Alto Basie Straight Ahead
Thank you very much! I just ordered it.

I am the lead alto player in my high school jazz band. I play well and I'm in tune most of the time. However, my director is constantly yelling at me for not playing louder than the tenor 1 player, who is constantly playing double forte. I have tried telling him that I can't play louder than him easily, and nothing has changed. If anyone has any ideas on something I could try it would be much appreciated.

I would say that there are two important parts to being a lead alto.

• The obvious part is having the tone and projection for the melody part of a harmonised section to cut above the other instruments playing the harmonies - but at the same time time blending so as not to be too dominant. You need to actually hear the bigness of the sound of five saxophones. This is diminished if the lead predominates too much so your balance is crucial.
  • The authority to lead in terms of telling the other players what to do. This is partly done by the way you carry yourself while playing but importantly having the confidence in rehearsals to tell the tenor player to follow you and observe the ncessary balance. ie not overpower the lead.
For the first part yes, gear is essential. You do need a mouthpiece that will allow volume and tone to sound approprately above the rest when you need to.

When I was at college I was immediately put on lead alto (with players much more advanced) purely because I was the loudest. I could bately read music (as I had taught myeself to paly/read untransposed). It took about 6 months of the tenor 1 swearing at me to actually gain the confidence to start leading psychologically as well as in regard to loudness.

Last edited:
I would say that there are two important parts to being a lead alto.

• The obvious part is having the tone and projection for the melody part of a harmonised to cut above the other instruments playing the harmonies - but at the same time time blending so as not to be too dominant. You need to actually hear the bigness of the sound of five saxophones. This is diminished if one predomintaes too much so your balance is crucial.
  • The authority to lead in terms of telling the other players what to do. This is partly done by the way you carry yourself while playing but importantly having the confidence in rehearsals to tell the tenor player to follow you and observe the ncessary balance. ie not overpower the lead.
For the first part yes, gear is essential. You do need a mouthpiece that will allow volume and tone to sound approprately above the rest when you need to.

When I was at college I was immediately put on lead alto (with players much more advanced) purely because I was the loudest. I could bately read music (as I had taught myeself to paly/read untransposed). It took about 6 months of the tenor 1 swearing at me to actually gain the confidence to start leading psychologically as well as in regard to loudness.

Although I am not the OP, I found this information very helpful. I too, was given the lead part because of my big sound and the fact that I can play loud. I am definitely not the most advanced player. The issue I have in our section is getting alto 2 and the bari to play louder. They're good players but a little lacking in confidence.

What's the name of that sheep they use to lead the other sheep into the slaughter house? ;)

I don't know what they are but they sound scary as I can't pronounce at least one of them.

Sgain Dhu aka Sgain Dubh aka Skean Dhu = black blade....oddly named for a small single edge knife kept in ones stocking top and originally used for eating, preparing food and other general uses.

@jbtsax ….I still have my Selmer metal jazz mpce from 1960...….it is definitely bright mpce.