support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Laurel or Yanny

What do you hear?

• Total voters
Someone put "Yanny" through a high pass filter and "Laurel" through a low pass and then mixed them together?

Strange words to pick.

I hear Laurel. I have no high frequency hearing.

On my phone it's a very definite Laurel

On my kitch radio it's Yanny, but if I stand round the corner it's Yannel

Yanny
(when spelled like that) looks/sounds like a rude word to me though, even though I know it's short for a make of saxophone.

That’s sort of my experience. I heard yanny this morning then sort of yammel, and in the car just now definitely laurel. I said this morning to someone it will be to do with perceived frequency balance and being able to hear high frequencies or not. An audiologist on the radio basically confirmed the gist of that.

Also suggested it was an ambiguous mix so I suspect Dibbs is right

I don't hear either. I see how some might hear "Yanny" but not "Laurel" although I do hear an L sound at the end.
I suppose being French has a lot to do with that, I probably don't analyse the sound as anglophones do.

No I clear all their cookies out immediately afterwards. It’s not so much “what kind of a vegetable are you?” But more “what kind of a sheep are you? :pBaaaaaa!

The results may have been more interesting had the two words not been suggested beforehand.
Similar to the "do you see a gold dress or a blue dress" debate.
Had the colours not been suggested beforehand the resulting reactions would surely have been different.
IMO - In both cases the power of suggestion has tainted the outcome.
Reading yanny first, since it appears on the left side of the poll, could have primed listeners to hear it over laurel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom