All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Late night Sax cravings.

What

I am by nature a night owl. Probably got it hanging out in bars listening to my dads band and to the amusement of those still upright mixing drinks. I don't really get active till about 8 pm, now that gives me time to get an hour or so of sax in, but then as soon as I put her down I want more. Soon it's midnight and I have to fight myself to stop from picking up that sax again. How do you all fight the urge to wake the neighbors? Is there a cure? Should I run out into the night sax on my neck find some park and wake the drunks? Even now at 10 it's calling me...:shocked:

TomMapfumo

Get a trumpet and a good practice mute....... very cheap and you can play as hard as you like and the sound will not be heard in an adjoining room, let alone the neighbours house. It will also strengthen your embouchure. Late night sax is too problematic IMHO until you have developed the embouchure strengh to play really quietly, when it can be really fun.

navarro

I am by nature a night owl. Probably got it hanging out in bars listening to my dads band and to the amusement of those still upright mixing drinks. I don't really get active till about 8 pm, now that gives me time to get an hour or so of sax in, but then as soon as I put her down I want more. Soon it's midnight and I have to fight myself to stop from picking up that sax again. How do you all fight the urge to wake the neighbors? Is there a cure? Should I run out into the night sax on my neck find some park and wake the drunks? Even now at 10 it's calling me...:shocked:
Hi What, Guess What, it sounds to me like you are suffering from The Theolonius Monk Syndrome, (Round Midnight in layman's terms.) But not to worry The Mayo clinic are researching a cure. Best Regds. Medical Research Hat On. N>:)

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Hi What, Guess What, it sounds to me like you are suffering from The Theolonius Monk Syndrome, (Round Midnight in layman's terms.) But not to worry The Mayo clinic are researching a cure. Best Regds. Medical Research Hat On. N>:)
Do you make a mayo sandwich or fill the bell to muffle it?

What

Well I hope they hurry. My fingers are a'twitching and my lungs are ready to make some noise (still can't quite call what I make music, but I'm getting close)
Go to bed.
Get yourself an alarm clock.
I had an alarm clock once... Poor bastard never saw it coming.

Corona4007

We used to have a really good jazz bar here in Auckland called the London Bar. You could be on a night out in downtown till late then go chill to some really good jazz / blues music over a late night one or something else... It has now gone unfortunately but what it provided was a really good avenue for late night expression and I have seen a few muso's rock up and get up and do their thing.

Maybe by researching the late night places near where you live there's maybe a place you can go and play late??

Altenatively give it heaps in the park, the locals will only throw things and hey they might just come out and groove with you??>:)

MellowD

Lost In Theory
We used to have a really good jazz bar here in Auckland called the London Bar. You could be on a night out in downtown till late then go chill to some really good jazz / blues music over a late night one or something else... It has now gone unfortunately but what it provided was a really good avenue for late night expression and I have seen a few muso's rock up and get up and do their thing.

Maybe by researching the late night places near where you live there's maybe a place you can go and play late??

Altenatively give it heaps in the park, the locals will only throw things and hey they might just come out and groove with you??>:)
We have a place called The Late Lounge, in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK which is a modern take on your London Bar, and a pal of mine plays there once per month on a regular booking. He doesn't begin his set till after midnight.

Personally, I only have to step through a gate in my hedge, and I'm in the fields away from anyone else. No chance of catching a bus around here though! No car = housebound :-0

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom