support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

Late 60s Beaugnier Vito Alto Special w/hard Gator Case.

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
I'm really sad to let it go but unfortunately I need to sell my Beaugnier Special Alto.
Even though this is a wonderful sax, my heart belongs to tenors.

This is a late 60s special model ( Made in France ), one of those rare ones with the modern pinky table.
The pinky table is really really different from the older ones and it really suited my hands!
I've played several beaugniers (Kenosha, standard, noblets etc), but this one is really special.

Specials was their pro line and these later horns were their last attempt to compete Selmers.
Thank god though Beaugniers have a really unique sound!
It is complex, wide, and when you push it it gets really bright and with great projection.

This one comes with a Gator case I bought from Thomann,
it was completely overhauled in August at "Mihalitsianos" shop , the top techs in Greece. ( Cost 350E ).

The truth is that it didn't need a repad when I bought it but this alto really stood out from other ones I've had including Beaugniers, and I thought I would keep it for many many years.

It needs nothing. It has a light setup, altissimo is really easy and intonation is really really good for a vintage instrument. I'd advise you to take it to your tech to get it setup to your preferences, but it's wonderful as it is.

Photo Gallery
https://imageshack.us/user/Sax_ellinas

Price : £850 ( I will donate 5% for the wonderful cause of this forum)
Insured (only) shipping to any EU country except Greece : £50

A true professional made in France sax for the price of a student line Yamaha .

Feel free to ask any question about this lovely sax.

New price for this beauty fully overhauled and with a pretty decent case :) ---> £750
It really has to go. It's a shame to stay in it's case.
For questions or extra photos feel free to contact me.

Photos for your pleasure :)

:headscratch:Great saxes unfortunately I've got more than enough, great sound nice made £750 I sometimes can't believe these don't sell easier I know there are some good cheap new saxes available but they won't last like these older saxes or be as well built everyone should at least own a vintage ish sax once in their life hope you get it away.

Reading yard sale posts can be agony

The truth is that Beaugnier saxophones and their sound is unknown to many.
I understand that someone that hasn't touched or heard such a sax can be hesitant to buy it at any price.
I won't reduce the price though any further. It's a really well made, well cared for saxophone, with sound qualities that make it stand out.
If it won't go, I might just keep it. :). If it will, someone will grab a really really good sax for a student's sax price.
Simple.No agony at all.

I meant the simple agony of lusting after lovely saxophones at great prices without having the funds to pay for them

Out of interest

Why can't you send insured within your own country?

For greece it will be a lot cheaper. This price is for EU countries.

I have 2 Beaugniers, Vito Kenosha alto and Noblet tenor, they don't get as much playtime as my Conns but I wouldn't hesitate to use either, well built and a nice sound, even with me at the sharp end.

Good luck with the sale.

For everyone's information I have a 60s Vito Beaugnier - stripped, beautiful patina, full repad - and it's the best alto I have ever had. Vito just stencilled other makers horns, and Beaugnier were a full on pro horn maker. Just google Johnny Hodges Vito and see what comes up. I have never played it against a Mk 6, but then I'm not about to throw away £4k plus to find out! It plays better than my old Yamaha 62, my Martin Handcraft - it is capable of such a wide variety of styles - very expressive. If the one being sold here is similar then it's worth every penny. Modern enough to have slick keywork , it doesn't feel vintage but it has the sound. These deserve more attention.

This Horn is a steal at £750 - I hade the tenor version and 6 years later I'm still kicking myself for selling it.

Sorry for my late answer, but
This alto -and if I remember well mack- the alto you bought from ebay is not a Johny Hodges Vito.
The JH Vito is a Beaugnier 35 which has the system keywork which includes some extra fingerings not found in most saxophones.
My beaugnier must is a 38 Special. One of the latest attempts of beaugnier to try to produce a horn that could compete with the giant selmer.

Actually all Beaugniers early or late ones are top of the line saxophones and the most easy to find model is the "standard" model. These models are the ones that have no special name or "standard" name. Some made in Paris, some in Kenosha USA.

The top of the line saxes of beaugnier factory are the "DUKE" & "SPECIAL" ones are all stamped as duke or special and to me are exceptional saxophones that could really compete and brand, having their own special sound though.

They are in all aspects much better than the standard ones.

I agree with the description of playablility and sound of Mack.

If any of you have a DUKE or SPECIAL french ( 38 or 39) tenor in good condition I would consider a trade.
In case of a trade with a CS forum member 5% of the advertised price will be donated for the good cause of this forum.

The saxophone is not for sale anymore.

After a short meeting today with fellow sax players (you know these sax n mouthpiece comparison ones) i totally regretted thinking about selling the sax. Its unique tone made fall for it again and i ll spend more time with it.

Thank you very much for letting me have this ad here.
Im sorry but this is a keeper permanently.

Thanks for the update, enjoy it :)

Jx

Unless your broke (no money) at £750 best thing to do is hang on to it, remember you like it then sell it, as often as not you wish you'd hung on to it, if it sounds as good as you say you may never get that sound again for that money. I'm the same I own a couple of SML's and a couple of very exclusive expensive saxes that my SML's are more than capable of holding their own against.

SMLs ARE Expensive exclusive saxes thesedays ...................

SMLs are different beasts. Truly exceptional saxes but not for me. Im visiting france all the time and ive played lots dolnets, smls, selmers and i think beaugniers are unique. Theres a lot of difference in the sound of a beaugnier and an sml. Some people describe beaugniers as a sound between selmer and sml. I dont agree. Beaugniers are on the bright side and much richer than yamaha or yanagisawa.

It might sound silly but thanks everyone for not buying this sax. Its a killer. i was about to make a huge mistake.

Back
Top Bottom