last minute cancellation

Well here I am sitting,tapping away furiously trying to vent my frustration.
right now I should be in the middle of a gig which our band has been doing once a month for years, but yesterday our guitarist called to say that he had just bumped into the landlord who said he had been meaning to call one of us, to let us know he didn't want music this month.
less than 24 hours notice. really? is that fair? how would he feel if the rolls were reversed?
I know that he is entitled to do as he pleases after all its his pub but, its my living and when a gig suddenly disappears, that make a hole in my income which with more notice I possibly could have filled.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
And one has to ask what he'd have done if you cancelled at the last minute for no good reason.....

Sorry to hear this. Guess you need to find another regular booking for this slot.

AndyG

Probably too late for this month, but might be worth letting them know that in future, unless 48 hours notice given, that you will charge a cancellation fee in order to cover costs incurred. This would be likely to make people think twice about cancelling at short notice.

OP
zootsaxenberger
And one has to ask what he'd have done if you cancelled at the last minute for no good reason.....

Sorry to hear this. Guess you need to find another regular booking for this slot.
that is my my point exactly,i understand that things happen and sometimes gigs haver to go down the gu.rgler but his cavalier attitude really annoyed me

OP
zootsaxenberger
Probably too late for this month, but might be worth letting them know that in future, unless 48 hours notice given, that you will charge a cancellation fee in order to cover costs incurred. This would be likely to make people think twice about cancelling at short notice.
Thats an option i agree, but i hate to have to resort to such measures, if only everybody played fair. too much to hope for i guess.

AndyG

Thats an option i agree, but i hate to have to resort to such measures, if only everybody played fair. too much to hope for i guess.
I know its not nice, but as long as its explained (maybe putting in a contract of some form or other) to people why the need to do it, most will probably understand.
I think dentists charge for missed appointments without sufficient notice, and I know driving instructors do ( I was one for several years ).

Last edited by a moderator:

jadoube

I know its not nice, but as long as its explained (maybe putting in a contract of some form or other) to people why the need to do it, most will probably understand.
I think dentists charge for missed appointments without sufficient notice, and I know driving instructors do ( I was one for several years ).
Yes, hotels do, my sax teacher does. One party sets aside their time to perform a service and if they are not able to use that time providing a service to an alternative buyer deserve to be paid for it.

Perfectly normal business practice, simply a case of the parties agreeing 'sufficient notice' in advance.

It may not be instinctive to think of it this way but the landlord is not (only) purchasing playing skill. They are (mainly) purchasing a slice of your time. They can choose to ask you not to turn up and play music during that time, but they still should pay for it.

If it makes it feel nicer - imagine buying a ticket for a gig, not being able to attend, and asking for your money back because you did not hear the music. You're doing just the same as the gig venue.

dooce

Good luck - I hope they are reasonable about it and want to keep a good name in the music community.

I agree that for private gigs, this would probably be fair enough, but I also think you will have found an exceptionally open-minded landlord if they go along with this for a pub booking. Good music venues around here usually have more than enough bands on their books and if you don't like last-minute cancellations, they'll just look at the phone number of the next band on their list while putting a thick black line through yours......

OP
zootsaxenberger
Good luck - I hope they are reasonable about it and want to keep a good name in the music community.

I agree that for private gigs, this would probably be fair enough, but I also think you will have found an exceptionally open-minded landlord if they go along with this for a pub booking. Good music venues around here usually have more than enough bands on their books and if you don't like last-minute cancellations, they'll just look at the phone number of the next band on their list while putting a thick black line through yours......
I agree Dooce, it is the same here, and I know that after playing for nearly forty years, I should be thicker skinned about this, but i just feel that particularly at present, musicians are having a tough time and this kind of behaviour just makes it worse.

Der Wikinger

My mentor, Jack, only used contracts. As an example, a club found another band that would work cheaper to get in behind Jack's band and take over the gig. All Jacks gigs signed contracts. If the club owner changed his mind, he would HAVE to pay Jack or go to court, pay for the gig, plus lawyer's fees. Jack has no patience for those who cancel out without notice.

OP
zootsaxenberger
The problem is that as Dooce pointed out, pubs over here tend to hire band without contractual constraints,and therefore it is very much a question of trust between the landlord and the band.
private gigs and clubs are a different matter, and it is normal ,and sensible practice to have contracts

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi zoots

I'm sure that you are pretty p'd off at the moment about this and who wouldn't be, but let me try to be the voice of reason here.

1) has this been a good regular venue for you for a long time,if so one hicup may be best left to ride.

2)If you have been a regular gigg every month for a long time maybe the landlord was thinking it's time for a change and you have to accept that nothing lasts for ever,and maybe he was embarrassed to tell you.

3)In these hard times landlords have to balance income with expenditure and people spending on entertainment is sadly dwindleling fast.A lot of large club/bar venues have gone to the wall in Manchester over the last 12 month purely from lack of custom,maybe the landlord was hoping to give you the gigg and had to decide at the last minute he could not afford it any more.

We all have to remember that we personally are not the only ones struggling it's everybody and every thing...john

OP
zootsaxenberger
Hi zoots

I'm sure that you are pretty p'd off at the moment about this and who wouldn't be, but let me try to be the voice of reason here.

1) has this been a good regular venue for you for a long time,if so one hicup may be best left to ride.

2)If you have been a regular gigg every month for a long time maybe the landlord was thinking it's time for a change and you have to accept that nothing lasts for ever,and maybe he was embarrassed to tell you.

3)In these hard times landlords have to balance income with expenditure and people spending on entertainment is sadly dwindleling fast.A lot of large club/bar venues have gone to the wall in Manchester over the last 12 month purely from lack of custom,maybe the landlord was hoping to give you the gigg and had to decide at the last minute he could not afford it any more.

We all have to remember that we personally are not the only ones struggling it's everybody and every thing...john
I agree John with all of your points, but it is not the cancellation itself that bothers me it is the amount of notice (i had turned down a couple of dep jobs because i thought we would be playing) both would have paid me more, but i believe that if you commit to something you should not go back on your word.
also it transpires that the reason we were not required was because the pub had a celebration party the night before, with an Abba tribute band and the landlord decided that he did not want two days of music, again fair enough but apparently he took this decision a month ago

SYOS
Top Bottom