All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Lamb Shank Rogan Josh

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
I like Lamb Shanks, but I also like Rogan Josh. Why not put them together?

• 1 Lamb Shank per person
  • 4 Good Sized onions
  • Good piece of Ginger Root (couple of inches)
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons ground coriander
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 6 whole cardomom pods
  • piece of cinnamon or cassia bark
  • tin of chopped tomatoes
Wazz up Onion,garlic and ginger in a food processor or chop finely.
In a large casserole heat up some oil and sear the meat on a high heat. Remove.
To the same oil chuck in the wazzed-up onion/garlic/ginger and fry on a medium heat until browning. Add the spices and if needed more oil and fry until the oil starts to leave the paste. Add a cup full of water and boil it away.
Add the tin of toms and about a half litre of water and plenty of salt.
Put the Lamb Shanks back in and put in the oven at 180c for about an hour and a half. Check it periodically and stir.
When the shanks are cooked to the dropping-off-the-bone stage add chopped coriander leaves serve with plain rice or indian breads.
I sometimes add potato cubes and chick peas (tinned and drained, not dry!) after half the cooking period.
If you can find Shan Karahi/Fry Gosht curry mix add a couple of tsp instead of the chilli powder. It's delicious.
I don't get much chance to cook meat as Mrs S is vegetarian but she's away for a couple of weeks and I cooked it last night. Yum!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Very tempting, if I can find lamb shanks here.

Trying to second guess this, but given the recipe above, are you aiming this at a family (say 4-5 people) or otherwise?

Must say I first read this as 'Long shank Rogan Josh' - just like Selmer mouthpieces...

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Hi Kev
I usually make one main curry (ususaly vegetable based) with a couple of side dishes like Saag Paneer (Spinach and indian cheese) and a pulse dish like tarka dal. This lasts me and Sue for two days and the second serving is always the best.
If you can't find lamb shanks use any bone-in lamb like best end of neck. Just remove some of the fat before frying.
Recently went to the Indian Veggie restaurant in Bradford (Prashad) that was featured on Gordon Ramsays programme.
Had the stuffed Aubergine Satay there and it was unbelievably good. The recipe for that is on their website, have a shuffty.
If you use a long shank selmer mouthpiece just cook it for a bit longer.
Cheers
Andy

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom