All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Lafleur tenor saxophone

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Imported by Boosey and Hawkes. Good kit or not worth looking at? Advice please.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I don't think these saxes are that bad. It's an Amati Denak and I think it's made in the early or mid 80's. No F# key. New pads, corks and a good setup these saxes are good for the money. Darker tone compared to new asian made saxes. I can buy a sax like that for c £ 250.00 - 300.00. They should be cheaper than a Yamaha student tenor.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
It has had new pads (five years ago) and has only been played a couple of times since they were replaced. Can purchase for not much over £100. With case and new mouthpiece!

Go for it?

altissimo

Locality
leicester
give it a blow before you hand over the cash - check the intonation and check for leaks - pads that haven't been used for a long time can sometimes go dry and hard. Also there's no guarantee that whoever fitted the new pads did a good job, as some members here have found out the hard way, there's still a few sax techs around who don't do good work. If it plays well and you like the feel of the keywork and the tone, it could be a good buy... Good luck and caveat emptor!!

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Many thanks. Could be an ideal first tenor....robust, built in Czech Rep, proven reliability via Boosy and Hawkes and generally acknowledged as a reasonaable purchase typically around £200 - £240 it would appear from what I have read.

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
It has had new pads (five years ago) and has only been played a couple of times since they were replaced. Can purchase for not much over £100. With case and new mouthpiece!

Go for it?

I had an alto one briefly as a callow youth, over thity years ago. It was OK, nothing special. However for £100 or so, if it plays at all it's probably worth a punt - that's very low money for any tenor that plays.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
Don't sit on the fence on this one. I play an Amati tenor and I love it. It gets gigged on a regular basis and it's got a great tone. Personaly I find the ergonomics fine and the intonation is certainly good by my ear! £100+ for an Czech horn is worth every penny if you ask me!

See for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I've had a few Lafleur tenors. They used to be the ubiquitous amateur horn post 70's till the rise of the Chinese/Taiwanese

I started out with a Lafleur alto back in the 1980's. I still have it. Re padded once or twice. Looks like hell now but still plays.

A simple action which might be considered a bit clunky compared to a modern Chinese but reasonably ergonomic for big hands.

They play in tune and are easy to work on.

If it plays and it's not too battered £100 is a bargain in my opinion. I've seen that photo before though so steady as you go.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Now you have me concerned about purchasing!! Remembering a photograph!!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Told it before, but Amatia was the nationlised company that the CZ govt made out of Keilwerth and Kohlert (amongst others) post WWII. They've changed a bit over the years, but are good solid saxes, budget for a setup, especially after what Colin said. I've got one here that I'm rebuilding, if I ever get around to finishing it.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Now you have me concerned about purchasing!! Remembering a photograph!!

I've been searching on ebay where I saw it. It was on my watch list but I did a bit of house keeping and cleared out some items that had ended as My list was getting full. I can't find it now. Not sure if it didn't sell or what happened to it. Some sellers are quite optimistic with their starting price and get no bids. Often the item that you buy isn't the item in the picture. I'd be wanting to physicaly see it and touch it before sending any money.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Will be collecting it in person on Sunday! Cash deal, going to the house of the owner. Can't think of anything else to be more convinced it is not a rip off! However for £120 it is a "no brainer" with case, new mouthpiece and some music books!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Will be collecting it in person on Sunday! Cash deal, going to the house of the owner. Can't think of anything else to be more convinced it is not a rip off! However for £120 it is a "no brainer" with case, new mouthpiece and some music books!

Yes, a no brainer. Enjoy!

C_Claudemonster

Formerly saxgirl22
Locality
England, UK
you can get these for much less than £200 but it's a risk as you don't know what state it will be in! They are a 'bit dated' but I second the opinions that they are good, robust horns with a nice darker tone but yes, watch the intonation! I had an alto and found it to not really have alot of back bone in terms of sound but they're not a pro level horn etc and will serve a purpose and I think they're not at all a bad instrument
:)

C_Claudemonster

Formerly saxgirl22
Locality
England, UK
silly me! I'm late in my response, enjoy the sax! Can't argue at that price, it's a great price for it & with a new m/p

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Not late at all. I have not picked it up yet. Will report back next week.

bolgwrad

Locality
Glasgow Scotland
3 years on, for the benefit of anybody else looking at one, I got an eBay 1949/50 LaFleur tenor for £200. Easy to work on, authentic tone, more Kenwood Chef than Chefette to play, the sort of sax you'd take to a session rather than put in your handout photos. Sturdy, and plays like it.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom