All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Lackadaisical customer service

teebones

Subscriber
Ordered a New John Packer JP043CB Soprano Curved Black Body Sax on Tuesday 19th late afternoon via telephone.
Was told the horn would need to go thought the workshop time about 2 days.:w00t:

Telephoned on Thursday 21st late afternoon and after a vist to the workshop the sales adviser informed me the horn would be dispatched on Tuesday 26th and would be delivered to me on Wednesday 27th
I would receive a email from the courier 2 hours before delivery :welldone

Today Wednesday 27th at 4.40pm as there was no email from said courier so I telephoned John Packer and enquired about delivery the sales adviser once again went to the workshop and upon her return said the horn would not be delivered today :shocked:

When quizzed further the sales adviser said the horn would not be delivered until next week "MAYBE" Tues/Weds ie 3rd or 4th of May :confused::mad:

I informed the sales adviser of my telephone call on Thursday 21st and that I was not very happy and was considering cancelling the order, the sales adviser reply to that was in my opinion very flippant (o'well just let us know what you decide):shocked:

I then telephoned the bank to ensure no monies had been taken and then telephoned John Packer cancelled the order with a followup email

A few minutes later received a email from John Packer stating that the order had been cancelled.

TEEBONES DO NOT INTEND TO USE JOHN PACKER AGAIN

1954pip

hi sorry to here that but i think thats the way britan is going, customer service seems to be forgotten about.
it can be very annoying the lack of care you get most places these days.
but there some people who restore your faith in human kindness
all the best
pip

Fraser Jarvis

but i think thats the way britan is going,
I know, i recently ordered a Legere plastic reed from Reeds Direct at Cambridge, i phoned them, told the guy which one i wanted and in what strenth, i then asked weather they had one in stock to which he replied he would just check, anyway he came back and said they had one and it would be with me tommorow....two days later i phoned up again to be told they were out of stock and it would be two-three weeks wait.

The problem is these compannies just seem to employ anybody and in the current "dont care" "couldent care less" society we live in this just is'nt good enough, these people could easily damage an otherwise good company of sound standing.

I too have encountered this kind of shoddy customer relations but, on the bright side i ordered by phone a Digitech Vocal 300 from Guitar, AP and Keyboards (in Brighton) the guy i spoke to said that he would try to get it dispatched to me that day but if not it would definitely be with me within the next three days and lo and behold it arrived mid morning the day after i ordered it.
cant say fairer than that great service!

baritonesax

I've ordered two saxes from John Packer over the course of the past year - one straight, and one curved soprano. Both times were relatively easy transactions, but I did complain to them that if it says "in stock" on a website, there is a tacet assumption by the buyer that s/he's going to get the item straight away. It took about a week for them to "set-up" one of those sops to dispatch to me - which isn't very satisfactory' The setup should be done in their time, not mine. Otherwise, quite a decent bunch of people!

Pyrografix

Senile Member
In my case I have to stand up for John Packer - I bought a bari sax from them (ex-demo), and I was told immediately that it wouldn't be despatched until it had been checked/set-up. It was slow going through this process as this was in the run-up to Christmas and they were very busy, but I was kept informed. Then, as the sax was ready to leave, the snow arrived and the delivery was delayed. For my pains, I was given a substantial refund by Packers, along with a free bari/tenor combo stand and 2 packs of Rico reeds. Very reasonable, on the whole!

dooce

I've had several dealings with JP and have no complaints, and I've recommended them and their products to various people. Sorry to hear their record is not 100% and you have made your point Teebones, but I think the bold caps in red on your post is a bit overstated. Although they clearly have their failings, these people are not charlatans or con-artists.

AlanU

I'm always sorry to hear of this type of treatment, but try not to become too jaded, it's not always like that.
And this from me, who doesn't do disappointment. I get stroppy, and I know it.

The following opinions are of course based on my own experience:

Pete Scaddan of www.studiosaxophones.co.uk is exemplary with the personal touch.

www.normans.co.uk are good too.

www.thomann.de has a great web site that is in any language you could want, competative prices, a huge range of stock and speedy dispatch.
When I once phoned them about not having received a 'dispatched' e-mail the voice greeted me in doubledutch. As soon as I opened my mouth he switched to perfectly good English. Was I impressed!
Rudolph explained that there was a query over my order (ie. I'd co**ed it up), thirty seconds later all was resolved and the goods arrived two days later.
I don't know what they pay Rudi to work in their call centre, but he's worth double. That is the way to do it.

Music Medic are very good but I ordered a set of pads and numerous other items from them in good faith, (as Baritonesax says in 'tacit assumption') of a reasonable dispatch. The pads arrived after about a week or so which is fine, along with a note saying the other items are out of stock and will be sent when they get them. I was so indignant that they had taken my order and money without having the goods.
They are very clever chaps and do great work on Saxophones but disappoint customers (such as me) by having a site that accepts orders for goods they don't have. That should have been 'flagged up'. I wanted to get on with a rebuild and couldn't. If they could not supply I'd have bought the goods elsewhere. Very poor, I felt cheated.

The axiom is that if you get good service you are satisfied and say nothing. If you get bad service you are so upset about it you'll tell anyone who'll listen until you've gotten over it.

So, some good experiences, some not so good.
It's always the bad that are hard to forget though.

andyb1970

I know, i recently ordered a Legere plastic reed from Reeds Direct at Cambridge, i phoned them, told the guy which one i wanted and in what strenth, i then asked weather they had one in stock to which he replied he would just check, anyway he came back and said they had one and it would be with me tommorow....two days later i phoned up again to be told they were out of stock and it would be two-three weeks wait.

The problem is these compannies just seem to employ anybody and in the current "dont care" "couldent care less" society we live in this just is'nt good enough, these people could easily damage an otherwise good company of sound standing.
Exactly the same thing happened to me, they took the order saying they had stock then it didn't arrive. Had to pay more but went to my usual supplier and received top service as always.

old git

Tremendous Bore
And then the good guys, PG Music of Canada.

Updated to Band in a Box 2011 for Mac from 2010.5 with UltraPakPlus and bonus 20 Pak on DVD. Use the UltraPakPlus as it is on a USB 160 GB hard disk so no need to worry about internal hard disk space. Connected, messed around with previous backing tracks. There are so many alternatives available and it all sounds natural.

DVD in slot for final bit of upgrade, but no image on Desktop and then it pops out again, tried a few more times. Emailed PG and they promptly suggested corrupt disc and made download facilities available to me which fixed the problem. Now have small mini Frisbee for the Olympics and practising assiduously.

Like it, sounds better and good, caring staff. Must be heaven.
Thank you PG.

TomMapfumo

I hate poor service, especially when you are not kept informed of what is happening. I have had many dealings with JP over the past 6 years and they are generally very helpful, and their products are very good quality. I would add two failings that I see, however:

1. Their website is not up to date, and like several others they purport to have more stock than they do have, which can lead to significant delays.
2. They sometimes present as a little uncoordinated, and not singing from the same hymn sheet. I once had to return a trumpet to them as two of the valves seemed very sticky (despite being apparently set up beforehand), and this they agreed with. To be fair they allowed me to change my order to a trombone, on reflection, which was dispatched promptly and arrived in a perfect state. It did seem, though that all departments were not very well coordinated.

My conclusion is that they are sincere and honest, and produce good products, but that they could improve their customer liaison and service, and revamp/update their website more frequently.

Kind regards
Tom

koumou

I live on the Greek island of Rhodes and the nearest tech is in Athens, so I've learned to do adjustments and minor repairs myself,
but then again I am no expert. Before I ordered the JP043c I explained the situation to them and they assured me that the instruments are set-up before they get dispatched. I am prepaired to wait a bit longer for that. As I wanted to try the soprano and was not sure if I would like it or not I did not want to spend to much on it. I had narrowed my choise to a Thomann, a Walstein and a JP curved soprano. After reading what Tom said about the JP instruments I decided on the JP. After all they are all Chinese.

Last edited by a moderator:

andy

Hi Teebones, I hope you can accept our apologies for the recent disappointing service you felt you received regarding your order for a JP043CB. We got it wrong and we are sorry for that. I did call to apologise personally, unfortunately you were not available and I asked for our apologies to be passed on to you.

In hindsight, the 2 day despatch time that you were given was a little enthusiastic. Our workshop is extremely busy at all times with a full diary, coupled with the fact that we set up instruments, particularly woodwind prior to despatch, nobody wants to receive an instrument only to find it doesn't play as it should. Also, the point of order to delivery period fell over the Easter weekend which further compounded the situation.

Having said that, mistakes were made and our communication with you could have been better.

As you have probably seen from threads that have been posted from other past customers regarding this, our service is usually a lot better than this, it wasn't this time and we put our hands up to it!

TomMapfumo

Andy, you have been a very naughty boy...............:shocked::w00t:;} I think that you do need to tighten up at John Packer with communication especially, and perhaps be a little more realistic about time frames. Apology appreciated!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Sunray

Well done Andy ...

Many people and/or organisations would have just let it go by ...

But you chose to make an apology in a public way ...

That is in my view, the right thing to do ...

:welldone

teebones

Subscriber
Let Me Be the First to Welcome you to the Forum

Hi Teebones, I hope you can accept our apologies for the recent disappointing service you felt you received regarding your order for a JP043CB. We got it wrong and we are sorry for that. I did call to apologise personally, unfortunately you were not available and I asked for our apologies to be passed on to you.

In hindsight, the 2 day despatch time that you were given was a little enthusiastic. Our workshop is extremely busy at all times with a full diary, coupled with the fact that we set up instruments, particularly woodwind prior to despatch, nobody wants to receive an instrument only to find it doesn't play as it should. Also, the point of order to delivery period fell over the Easter weekend which further compounded the situation.

Having said that, mistakes were made and our communication with you could have been better.

As you have probably seen from threads that have been posted from other past customers regarding this, our service is usually a lot better than this, it wasn't this time and we put our hands up to it!
Hi andy, Welcome to the Cafe Saxophone hope you enjoy your stay.

I do accept your apologies and thank you for your telephone call which was passed on to me by my wife.

Tony (teebones):mrcool

jonf

The thing that I always think of regarding customer service, is not about the service you give when everything goes according to plan. The mark of a good organisation is how they react when things go wrong, as things do go wrong from time to time in every organisation. Being honest about shortcomings and giving a proper apology goes a long way. It's obviously a shame that things didn't work out for Tony, but I think the reposnse from JP was very decent, and shows an organisation which actually cares about its customers.

Incidentally, I think customer service is actually getting better across the board, not worse. Anybody recall what it was like buying a Ford in the 1970s? You got what was available, not what you wanted. Chances of returning malfunctioning goods before the 1980s? Pretty much nil, it was your own fault the thing didn't work.

AlanU

Is this apology really so magnanamous?
Communication is now instantaneous and Worldwide.

If you feel you've been badly treated you can tell everyone who cares to read it, anwhere in the world.
All businesses need to be aware of this, there is nowhere left to hide.

Get it right or get hammered.
Hence the apologetic first post by Andy, which looks like 'damage limitation' to me.
Poor.

BigMartin

Is this apology really so magnanamous?
Communication is now instantaneous and Worldwide.

If you feel you've been badly treated you can tell everyone who cares to read it, anwhere in the world.
All businesses need to be aware of this, there is nowhere left to hide.

Get it right or get hammered.
Hence the apologetic first post by Andy, which looks like 'damage limitation' to me.
Poor.
That seems a bit harsh. We live in an imperfect world. Things go wrong from time to time. When they do, what else can you do but limit the damage and try to make that particular mistake less likely to happen in the future?

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom