All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

La Voz reedguard

jeremyjuicewah

Hi. Am trying to take better care of my reeds and have come accross ref to above. Have tried to discover exactly what it is. Is it just a reedguard such as Rico, which I think is pretty good, the scalloped type thing that takes the reed pushed in from the end, or is it a device to keep the reed dead flat beyond the ability of a normal, good guard?
All the best
Mike

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
It's a flat plastic thing, mine takes 4 reeds, 2 on each side. there's flat, but finely grooved plate, and the reed sits between that and a cover plate. Keeps them well, and flat, but allows them to dry out.

If you want to keep them moist, look at the Rico guard, the holder's similar, but there's a sealed container around it and a holder for a moisturiser pad. I use mine without the pad, and the reeds are OK, slightly damp, so don't soften too much as you start to play.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Mike, sorry, I was speaking from memory, the grooves are on the Rico, the La Voz has a slightly matte finish where the reeds sit.

LaVoz (tenor, 4 reeds - 2 on each side)
http://www.kevsgallery.com/cafesax/LaVoz2v2.jpg

Rico (Alto, 8 reeds, 4 on each side, duff clamps)
http://www.kevsgallery.com/cafesax/Ricov2.jpg

I prefer the rico as there's more protection and it holds more reeds. But the LaVoz is good. The Rico was a second, hence the duff moulding holding the reeds, but it still works really well.

jeremyjuicewah

Hi Kev. Thanks for that. The La Voz is clearer. I cant see what comes down on the top surface of the reed in the Rico box. Does the whole lid clamp down on them?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
nothing clamps down on them, they're held by the straps that you can see (partial in my example).

Saxholder Pro

Members online

No members online now.
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom