All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

La Folia - June SOTM

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Sorry about this. :D
Not having done one of these for a while, I thought I'd have a bash at this since it's a bit different.
I don't think I knew the tune though I'd be amazed if I hadn't heard it somewhere or other. So I played through it and recorded it. Didn't like it so I tried again. Got halfway through, got bored and stopped.
Not feeling inclined to try again I decided to stick the first attempt up here. Enjoy. It sort of falls apart near the end.
I don't think you need to apologise for that, Nick. Beautiful.

OP
nigeld

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Sorry about this. :D
Not having done one of these for a while, I thought I'd have a bash at this since it's a bit different.
I don't think I knew the tune though I'd be amazed if I hadn't heard it somewhere or other. So I played through it and recorded it. Didn't like it so I tried again. Got halfway through, got bored and stopped.
Not feeling inclined to try again I decided to stick the first attempt up here. Enjoy. It sort of falls apart near the end.
That was beautiful, with a folk-song feel about it. More recordings please!

OP
nigeld

nigeld

Subscriber
Thanks, Nigel, it's in interesting alternative to the normal standards, but I'm afraid I kind of "standardised" it.
I was hoping that somebody would do a jazz version, so absolutely nothing to apologise for. One of the interesting things about this song is that it can be played in many different styles.

OP
nigeld

nigeld

Subscriber
It's the end of the month, so many thanks to the contributors. A new SOTM is on its way.

As usual, this thread will remain open, so feel free to add more recordings.

OP
nigeld

nigeld

Subscriber
It's still June (just) and here are three more of the variations on La Folia for saxophone quartet. All of the other variations in this arrangement are just too difficult for me.

La Folia - Rhys Sax Quartet Vars 6 7 & 8.mp3 - Box

Rhys

Well timed to see the month out.
That middle variation sounded a bit hairy. I dread to think what the "difficult" ones were like.
Nice bit of bari oomph at the end! :yess:

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom