support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

SOLD Kohlert 57 Alto

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Price of Item
£200
:confused:

Info from when I purchased it, and started restoring it here: Technical - Stecher - Bearer of reasonable news...

"Before" photos here: Stecher Kohlert 57

I've dismantled it, had the bell dent removed by Matt at Sheward-MIR (not perfect), the octave mechanism straightened (Matt again), immersion plated all the keys with H S Walsh's Silver Solution (although this will wear off again eventually) and was about to finish the body polishing and plating before sending it for a full overhaul including straightening around a dozen RTH's, re-padding, new springs, corks, etc.

All keywork is boxed with bagged activated charcoal to keep tarnishing at bay.

At the end of the day the sax will be almost perfect apart from the immersion (not electro) plating, but before I finish it to my spec by asking a tech to overhaul it as above at a cost of around £350, I wondered if anyone would be interested in it as their own project? I showed the body to Paul Carrington a while back to check the tone holes were straightenable and he was un-fazed.

Is £550 finished about the market value for a freshly overhauled Kohlert 57. That it's a stencil for Stecher makes it either very rare (as I can't find another Stecher saxophone anywhere on the 'net) or less desirable as it's not a "proper" Kohlert. You choose?

I'd be interested in opinions of finished value. Due to the immersion plating it'll never be cosmetically perfect, but should be playing spot on when overhauled. I could have left it with the brass showing through to let it tell its life story, and I think it's had a full one, but chose to re-plate somewhat out of interest to see how well immersion plating would go. It's a very time consuming process and I must have spent 50 hours on the keywork. But the hard work is done now. I realise it's a "hidden gem", although an iconic horn, and that this lack of mass market appeal will keep value low when finished.

If nobody is interested "as is" at £200 I shall soldier on. There is a slight part of me which would like to see it finished, and for it to blow my SA80II out of the water, but I doubt that and would then have another battle of the saxes on my hands! Hence my ad here.

Viewers welcome, so you can check condition and the displaced keywork.

;)

Cor blimey is it still here!?

Yes, you betcha!!

Shall we say... £199 to get a bit more interest in it?

Oh, yes... still for sale.

My quandary is still whether to have it overhauled for £350 and "see how it plays" or whether to sell it to someone who knows how a Kohlert 57 is supposed to sound and really wants one! Add to that it's possibly the only Stecher (stencilled by Kohlert) Alto known to exist and it has the double edged sword of being rare but at the same time unknown!

I guess if someone turned up on my doorstep with £150 today I'd probably accept it!

:eek:

Provisionally sold, subject to collection in a week or five/six...

Waiting for buyer to collect still. Sale pending.

Still waiting for buyer to collect. He's very reliable, but not in the UK often. Few more weeks...

Damn, someone got a nice horn! I've been on the lookout for a '57 tenor (or really any Kohlert stencil) for a while. Had a line on a Regent tenor for just £40, but it's way the other side of the country.

Now collected so finally SOLD.

5% forum fee on its way...

Donation as ever, gratefully received

Jx