Klezmer Salsa improv - Tenor

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Does anyone have a transcription for the improvised solo for Klezmer Salsa for sax ensemble by Philip Geiss?

Or is anyone willing to transcribe a solo for me?

I need one for Tenor sax to perform in a concert mid-June.

Thanks.

OP
MandyH

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Well, the solo has arrived and the good news is I can play it! It will require a little practice, and I've not yet tried to find an altissimo A and G on my tenor, but this is going to be fun!

I just hope I can do it justice, and that it sounds spectacular in the Priory!

Greg Strange

Well, the solo has arrived and the good news is I can play it! It will require a little practice, and I've not yet tried to find an altissimo A and G on my tenor, but this is going to be fun!

I just hope I can do it justice, and that it sounds spectacular in the Priory!
You play a Yamaha 62 tenor so for altissimo G play high B and add the high F# key, for altissimo A finger two and three of the left hand and one, two and three of the right hand - some people play two and three of the left hand only but I think the additional right hand fingerings lock the tuning. Experiment and see what works for you. All fingerings with the octave key.

Greg S.

OP
MandyH

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
You play a Yamaha 62 tenor so for altissimo G play high B and add the high F# key, for altissimo A finger two and three of the left hand and one, two and three of the right hand - some people play two and three of the left hand only but I think the additional right hand fingerings lock the tuning. Experiment and see what works for you. All fingerings with the octave key.

Greg S.
Thanks @Greg Strange

I have played altissimo on other saxes - the A on Alto and the G on Baritone ... just need some time to find them on Tenor.
I’ll give it a go later and see what works best.

OP
MandyH

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber

Greg S.
That G pops out crystal clear and in tune.

Those fingers for the A are what works beautifully on the Alto, but So far nothing I’ve tried has produced the A on the Tenor, however!

The charts I have Show 26 options!! And so far all I’m getting is a dirty ththththrrrr!

I’ll keep trying!

OP
MandyH

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
8B4840C7-AC46-4E3F-B295-27C28699DAEC.jpeg
These are the options I have tried so far! Not a hint on any one of them of an A yet!
My neighbours probably suspect something/ someone is being tortured!!

Greg Strange

That G pops out crystal clear and in tune.

Those fingers for the A are what works beautifully on the Alto, but So far nothing I’ve tried has produced the A on the Tenor, however!

The charts I have Show 26 options!! And so far all I’m getting is a dirty ththththrrrr!

I’ll keep trying!
Usually altissimo A is one of the easier notes to play above the 'normal' range of the sax. compared to the more traditional altissimo G fingering (without the high F# key). All my altissimo fingering charts tend to gravitate around the 2 and 3 fingering of the left hand, and sometimes 1,2 & 3 of the right hand. Try playing the overtones of low Bb, B, C, and C# using lip / jaw pressure and the octave key and see how high you can go - this is good altissimo training. To encourage you more Lenny Pickett apparently has a 7 octave range on the saxophone...:w00t:

Greg S.

P.S. Newer reeds tend to play better for altissimo...and try incorporating the altissimo notes in scale practice...

OP
MandyH

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I have fiend my first altissimo A tonight!
It’s not a good one, and it’s not in tune (woefully flat!) but it is there and it was repeatable. Now to keep trying for a better one
It is the first one on that list : T L2 L3

OP
MandyH

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Top Bottom