support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones King Super 20 Owners, How Many Are We?

King Super 20 Silversonic 379*** Cleavland 1961 (not the cheap Eastlake version) sorry Milandro, although the 454*** serial range are generally considered to be very good.

you are welcome Fraser.......I would invite you to try an Eastlake horn and indeed put it against anything of your choice just for kicks........." Cheap" is alright with me........ it only means that I got more bang for my (less) bucks.

Sorry Milandro, only having some fun mate, no there all great sax's ..... apart from the very early ones that were reputedly very ergonomically unfriendly.

Just think, I've got a cleaveland... you've got an eastlake, etc, maybe we can start a kind of class distinction thing, a bit like being a Selmer snob..mind you I've got one of those as well ! ha, ha..

:) No prob, really! I am used to the Cleveland-Eastlake thing...........well, I owned 3 Mark VII's so I am used to this sort of thing.
Regardless I am sure that lots of those things are just in the mind and there is a lot less to it as it might seem! Be well!

I’m a pre King Super 20 tenor owner. I’ve owned and played three Super 20’s. The best one for me to play was the -67-68 Super 20. A std King Super 20. My second King from c -51 was ”The King Super 20”! Double socket silver neck w underslung octave key, fancy engravings, hard/silver soldered tonholes, big sound …. but hard for me to handle . My intention was to keep that horn but a collector offered me the right amount of money so it was hard not to sell. But I regret that I sold the sax. The prices are so high nowadays. The last one was a -82-83 King Super 20 that was not so good compared to the other two. IMO King Super 20’s changed over the years.

King 20’s are great saxes! Buy one if the price is right. The King Zephyr is also good and even the King student saxes can be bargains. I think Keilwerth built saxes are playing in the same style as King(soundwise). And the prices are lower on Keilwerth stencils as well.

I would like to have a Super 20 again ...... .

this is probably the best time ever to buy one, people are getting rather unattached to their possessions and willing to separate themselves from nice horns for .........a fistful of dollars!

I think it's a very difficult time to find any Super 20's at the moment, they seem to be very thin on the ground!

I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale in the UK.

To bring one in from abroad would prove very costly at the moment especially with VAT at 20%

Regards, Mike

Yes, I was watching that one, but I think the listing must have finished early. Nice looking horn although as stated a relacquer! I personally find the LH pinkie keys a pain and awkward to use on these early horns, what do others think?

Regards, Mike

I bought my first Silversonic in 1966 used and abused it playing everything from Webern to Junior Walker until 1991 when I sold it. I lived with my regret and guilt until last year. That was when I found and bought a 1967 SilverSonic model in near mint condition. It was like finding a long lost friend. I've learned my lesson and now my motto regarding the new Super 20 is "... from my cold dead hands!" No doubt it is the best tenor sax I've ever played.

I have a superb King Super 20 Tenor for sale.....it was made in 1958.......double socket neck..........engraved keys.........Cleveland....serial number 3******etc
This horn plays like a dream and has been serviced by Woodwind Exchange in Bradford
I can send photos of any information that may be required.

Back
Top Bottom