supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

king curtis question..

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
One for King Curtis fans out there... I've got a recording session coming up which is really crying out for some (as near as i can get to) King Curtis style riffing. now I'm a huge fan of his live at Filmore West album, have got a very ropey 'best of' which clearly isn't, there's The Coasters' Yakety Yak. What are the other definative recordings of the great man himself..? I'm in need of some.... er..... stuff to rip off!

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I have about a dozen albums. There area few best ofs.

One I like is "20 Golden Pieces of King Curtis", check out Tequila, Nigt Train, Harlem Nocturne (of course) Honky Tonk, Soul Twist, Soul Serenade (soprano), Wiggle Wobble, Tanya, My Last Date.

BUT:

You must get Live at Montreux with Champion Jack Dupree.

rhysonsax

That's one of my favourites too and I have always loved Champion Jack. The CD is in storage at the moment, but I seem to remember the sleeve notes saying that Dupree frequently put in extra beats and possibly missed bars as well, but the band is right with him and it doesn't matter at all.

There's another great Chamion Jack Dupree album called "Blues from the Gutter" which has got great alto sax wailing by Pete Brown, especially on "Stagger Lee" - one of my favourite tracks. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blues-Gutter-Champion-Jack-Dupree/dp/B000002IUM

Sorry if that wandered away from King Curtis.

Rhys

OP
Jules

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I have about a dozen albums. There area few best ofs.

One I like is "20 Golden Pieces of King Curtis", check out Tequila, Nigt Train, Harlem Nocturne (of course) Honky Tonk, Soul Twist, Soul Serenade (soprano), Wiggle Wobble, Tanya, My Last Date.

BUT:

I did get Live at Montreux with Champion Jack Dupree

And after one listen in the car on the way back from work ..er...wow! thanks for the tip.....

kiat

One for King Curtis fans out there... I've got a recording session coming up which is really crying out for some (as near as i can get to) King Curtis style riffing. now I'm a huge fan of his live at Filmore West album, have got a very ropey 'best of' which clearly isn't, there's The Coasters' Yakety Yak. What are the other definative recordings of the great man himself..? I'm in need of some.... er..... stuff to rip off!
(just joined this forum, hence the late reply! King Curtis is my favorite musician of all time alongside James Jamerson - I now play bass)

My all time King Curtis favorite is "I was Made to Love Her" better than, but made famous by, Little Stevie Wonder. A lot of soul and power. I could never nail that part as the volume trails off in the outro...

Next best probably Ode to Billie Joe for its extreme sensitivity and soul.

Both definitely deserve a listen!

TonyM

I disagree with Pete. I think you should get the Live at Montreux with Champion Jack Dupree.

But, seriously, there is another one (after Montreux and Fillmore West) and that is Instant Groove. I'm fairly sure that it is available on CD. Unlike the other two, it's a studio album from the late period and the whole band (which includes Duanne Allman from memory) has a fantastic sound and a clear sound. You should get a lot from that.

TonyM

Apologies. I missed the fact that this thread was three years old. That was stupid of me.

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
I cant ever get enough of Memphis souls Stew (I even say it in my head like in the song with a little swag)

Kingsleyhk

Whiter Shade of Pale on soprano! You have to be game though! But I do agree about the Dupree/Montreux tracks - wonderful stuff.

Also try Hot Saxes with Sam 'the man' Taylor.

Top Bottom