SYOS

King alto problem

skydawg

Hi,I have a King Zephyr Special alto,using a Yamaha 5C mp.With the mp pushed on almost to the end of the cork,the horn is a full half step flat(when playing F#to an A440 tuning fork).Also playing CMaj scale,C4 to C5,B and C are very flat,so much so that C#5 is more in tune with C4 than C5 is.Recently had the horn inspected and regulated,the tech it was good to go.Can a player be that bad to be causing these issues? I`m embarassed to bring the horn back if I`m the one w/ the problem.

jbtsax

Subscriber
This article by Bruce Pearson contains some good information for players just starting out. In addition to checking the mouthpiece pitch, it is also helpful to check the pitch on the mouthpiece and neck (crook). On the alto, it should be an Ab concert or F2 on the saxophone. A #2 1/2 reed is a good match for the 5C. Softer than a #2 is not a good idea and can contribute to an embouchure that is too loose and a pitch that is flat.

Teaching the Saxophone Embouchure

Last edited:

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
I play very far in compared to most people. I used to play a customized Zephyr for alto, primarily. They can be exceptionally awesome. IMO, when you modernize the LH table. The ergonomics are as good or better than a Super 20, and you still get the excellent intonation and the Cannonball-esque special palm key thing that we all identify Cannonball by when we hear him.

There is likely more going on than is due to the player.

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
A couple of random tips:

1: regulate the bell keys and low C carefully -- your low C should be quite open, at least 1/3 the diameter of the tonehole

2: after #1, play more, don't think about it, just play and tune and play more.

You may find that after 1 or 2 hours of those 2 considerations, your issue magically goes away and never comes back.

If it doesn't, return to troubleshooting, because you likely have some kind of issue in the horn.

JRG

Hi,I have a King Zephyr Special alto,using a Yamaha 5C mp.With the mp pushed on almost to the end of the cork,the horn is a full half step flat(when playing F#to an A440 tuning fork).Also playing CMaj scale,C4 to C5,B and C are very flat,so much so that C#5 is more in tune with C4 than C5 is.Recently had the horn inspected and regulated,the tech it was good to go.Can a player be that bad to be causing these issues? I`m embarassed to bring the horn back if I`m the one w/ the problem.
First thing I'd do would be to find a good intermediate/advanced player in your area and have him/her try your alto with their mouthpiece and see what happens. That's probably the quickest and easiest way to find out if the issues are with the horn or you!

Good luck!

Members online

Top Bottom