All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Beginner kicking out those lower notes?

Hallelujahal

Locality
Preston, Lancs
I seem to remember struggling with this issue when I was learning to play clarinet back in 1976, however I'm struggling with kicking out those low notes (C, B & Bb) having recently taken up alto sax. They play but I have to really raise the volume of air...is it just a matter of time do you think? Are there any tips, tricks, practice routines I could use to develop them?
Thanks, AL

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Locality
Ilkley West Yorkshire
Practice and breath support. No easy solutions I'm sorry to say.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
They come and go for me. Sometimes they're luscious and breathy and sometimes they're loud and honky. The older the reed gets the more subtones I seem to get. Any slight leaks will affect the tone too. Whenever I'm going down there I always think "For what we're about to recieve". I think the trick is to tongue the note out and quickly reign back to control it.

muzza

Locality
Wellington, New Zealand
I found a video explaining imaging/saying different vowel sounds helps form the sound. I guess it is similar to imaging you are singing the note often mentioned. It helped me. For example saying the vowel r (as in are) opens the throat and produces nice low notes. Whereas e (as in eagle) is the month shape for an overtone.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
First before anything else make sure your sax is leak free.

Make sure your throat is relaxed and open like the first part of a yawn or singing "AHH" on the lowest note you can sing.

Blow warm air and mentally direct the airstream toward your LH thumb.

Do not relax or change the embouchure to play the lowest notes.

A good way to practice is to slur down from the note G and when you get to the low note you are working on, hold it as a long tone. After you have done this successfully several times, practice starting on the note itself.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom