support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Keilwerth SX 90R

thomsax

When I see a Martin Comm, Buescher 400, King Super 20, Selmer MkVII, Yamaha 61 and Keilwerth SX 90 R I use to take a closer look. And it's just tenors. I have played and owned most models and brands but no Keilwerth SX 90 R. And here is one for sale right now. With nickel keys and sterling silver neck. Seems to be a nice sax. Maybe it will end up like it use to do: I keep my Martins. But I'm tempted.

I love mine. That said, I've not had much exposure to other tenors, the JK was the one that "spoke" to me when I tried a bundle of tenors a good twelve years ago. I just love the sound and the feel. It does have quite a stuffy D2 and I still get the odd sticking G# despite the cunning lifting gadget. I can live with that though.

I love mine. That said, I've not had much exposure to other tenors, the JK was the one that "spoke" to me when I tried a bundle of tenors a good twelve years ago. I just love the sound and the feel. It does have quite a stuffy D2 and I still get the odd sticking G# despite the cunning lifting gadget. I can live with that though.

For some months ago I played a King Super 20 from the 50's. I've forgot how big the tone of these saxes are. And I think the Keilwerth has the same voice. I prefer a mint Keilwerth to a used King from the 50's. The Keilwerth is less money and ready to play. The price is c £ 2000.00. For me it's going to be Martin vs Keilwerth. Not easy!

Here it is!

Keilwerth SX90R.jpg

I think the point with these saxes is that they're really good, but QC is dodgy. A simple setup will sort out most things - as it will on many other brands that require it before the seller hands it over to the customer.

A good an useful review! But it don't stop me. You've to trust yourself. I think SH wrote about the problems with Martin toneholes as well. I have 12 Martins made saxes, most of late Comm III, and none is suffering from bad toneholes joints/soldering. But I think it's good SH wrote about this, I've inspected most of my Martins. And I will do so with the Keilwerth as well. If I buy it!?!?!

one of my friends had an SX90R and it was a great horn, big fat sound and no discernible tonehole problems - the only issue was that the bell stuck out a bit further than usual, so he had a bit of a struggle getting it to fit in his Hiscox case, until he bashed a dent in the lining of the case for the thumbrest and it just squeezed in.
As with Martins, if you like the sound, you'll tolerate the idiosyncracies... or revel in them..

Back
Top Bottom